Reload this Page >

how to get last-minute globe theatre tickets

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 09:19 PM
candy

i want very much to see vanessa redgrave as prospero in the tempest at the globe, but they were sold out for the entire summer. does anyone know how might we get last-minute tickets once we get there (going next week)?

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 05:00 AM
elaine

this is a suggestion, I don't know for sure if they handle tickets for the Globe, but in the US and in London, both Edwards & Edwards, and Keith Prowse, are ticket agencies that for a mark-up can often get you tickets for popular shows. For E & E. call toll free in the US 800 223 6108. For Keith Prowse, call 800 669 8687.

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 11:05 AM
Sara

Elaine: <BR> <BR>Show up at the theater and go to the will call window. Inevitably, someone will be a no-show (especially the standing room tickets) and you can buy tickets for a pittance just before the performance begins. It will most likely be a standing room ticket though.

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 06:57 PM
Kathy

I had been trying to get tickets to The Tempest at the Globe also. However, I just read reviews on the This is London website for both Hamlet and Tempest at the Globe. Both productions were given complete, almost unconditional thumbs-down (especially Vanessa Redgrave). I am not so anxious to get those tickets anymore. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has actually seen either play.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 03:38 AM
candy

well, just back from london and managed to see both globe productions, which were both sold out. (the box office told me their productions are 95 percent sold out for the summer.) for the matinee, got a seat just before showtime from the box office. for the evening show, i was told to come back at six, when returns were put up for sale. i happened to be there at 5:30, so i went to check, and they had 4 tickets (seats) to sell. for both performances, standing room was available. this was a weekday. as to quality, i can only say that i wasn't overwhelmed. mark rylance's performance as hamlet took a while to pick up steam, though he did do mad very well. i ended up leaving at the second intermission because the performances didn't distract me fully from the discomfort of sitting on backless wooden benches for hours (i do have lower-back problems, but i heard other rumbles). for the evening performance i bought a seat cushion, which helped a little. but i'm afraid my beloved vanessa gave a performance that belied her genius. i can't imagine why in the world she was so blah, why she made such choices. the actress who plays ariel is apparently a favorite with london critics, but i found her a zero. both productions had their good points, though, and i wouldn't have missed seeing a performance at the Globe--it's a unique experience, and the words are still shakespeare's. i couldn't really advise one over the other, though.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 03:41 AM
candy

sorry--just realized i was misleading about the seat cushion--they rent them to you for a pound (you don't have to go shopping for seat cushions!). also, the performances last about 3 hours, with two intermissions.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 02:32 PM
candy

me again--just remembered i wanted to suggest that anyone who wants to see a globe play and has back problems request a seat in the back row, where they can lean back against the wall.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 08:28 PM
maggie

I actually saw the play..it was wonderful! Vanessa Redgrave played the part with much humor. It was a packed audience, groundlings filled the entire "ground"...they stayed while the performance went through: rain, hail, thunder, lightning, and sunshine. They were absolutely soaked and the play got a standing ovation from all. I would advise seeing it if you can. Hope the weather is good.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 08:30 PM
maggie again

Oh, and I DO advise renting a seat cushing for l pound.