Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to get info on summer volunteer programs around the world for teens?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 18 year old daughter wishes to volunteer in the summer and is flexible about location. She has investigated through the internet and found hundreds of them, many charging quite a lot of money for the donated time. Does anyone have any idea how to sift through these to find the most reputable organizations that hopefully expose her to an interesting and positive experience?
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 04:28 PM

Volunteer for WHAT? WHERE? We need more information.

My son is interested in volunteering at an archaeological site in Europe this summer or next, for example. There are plenty of programs that pay you to do this - a small room and board stipend plus a bit for expenses - but is that what you're looking for?

As you said, there are hundreds of programs out there, so what kind of "interesting and positive" experience is she looking for? Does she want to work on an archaeological dig in France investigating a 13th-century city, work in a cheese factory in Italy, help homeless kids in Athens, help repair frescoes in Turkey, or what?
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 04:30 PM

RDixon, your daughter is to be commended. However, you need to provide MUCH more information, if you wish to get some helpful answers.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 04:38 PM
rex

I disagree. This is a highly specific question: "how to sift through". Regrettably, I do not know the answer - - but it seems just as valid a question as "where can I read about people's various experiences on Europe biking trips, to gauge their relative cost/value?"

We know about SlowTrav. This poster needs to know where to find TeenVolTrav!

Chances are someone will know. Anyone here work as a counselor at large upscale high schhol counserlor whose students regularly try out a broad spectrum of such programs? Or know someone who could tap into that kind of expertise?

Interesting question.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 04:55 PM

I'm sory, Rex, but I disagree with your disagreement. When you go on the internet, as my son and I have many times, to look up possible volunteer activities, it is best to have already selected the TYPE of volunteer activity you're interested in. Digging around in archaeological sites is one that my son is definitely interested in, and even if you narrow it down to that and Europe, you get a thousand hits.

I can't believe someone would approach a summer volunteer effort in Europe from the standpoint of everything that is available, anymore than a student looking at colleges would plan to check out every college in the USA. One always has to narrow down the field.

The OP stated that a lot of programs charged money - I would eliminate those right off the bat and go for the ones that charge only for room and board or those that actually pay for work performed. There are plenty of reputable programs that don't charge and that actually offer some remuneration to students willing to work hard.

Personally, I'd contact the Smithsonian Institutions, but again it depends on the type of work your child is interested in. It might be best to contact religious or linguistic organizations, or whatever, depending on what, exactly, she wants to do in Europe. It's really hard to say without more information. As I said before, WHAT does she want to do?
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 05:04 PM
rex

Oky, so we will agree to disagree, civilly. I simply think that this could be a very real situation. Daughter may not have even come up with the idea to go abroad. Parent may have been (appropriately, not excessively) pushing the idea - - of "somewhere", to expand horizons. Daughter may have been (appropriately, not spinelessly) receptively. They may be knee deep in brochures, and daughter's interests may be diverse, vased on horizons having been somewhat? limited up to now?

I still think the request is for a repository of information gleaned and shared by/from famiies who have been/had participants. It may not exist as concentrated, or as tapestry-rich as this forum.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 05:33 PM
cmt

If she's in college, she might get some information at the placement office, or by asking the faculty asking in various departments (foreign languages, art, history, classics, depending on her focus) that may have received notices of interesting summer programs for students. If she's not in college yet, but you live near a college or university campus, she might check bulletin boards at the school. There may be posters, applications, flyers, etc. for these programs posted somewhere.

You might also look in the classified section of various magazines, e.g., Smithsonian, Natural History, and other ones, according to interest. There may be ads for volunteer programs in Europe. (But they may be the ones that charge.)

Also consider asking church (not necessarily just your own church) and various charitable volunteer groups about international volunteer projects. I think Habitat for Humanity has projects in other countries besides the US. Also check with museums, which may have projects or at least may has suggestion re where to look for certain kinds of projects.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Perhaps this not the right forum for this question as I just asked my daughter if she could be a little more specific as to her wishes. She replied that she wants to go to a developing country to do either social or building (? or repair)work. Beyond that, I think she just wants to make a meaningful contribution and would be open to suggestions.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

And Rex, you are right-my first thought when my daughter showed me the many programs offered was 'we don't anything about these organizations' and I sure didn't want to send her off somewhere if I couldn't be sure she was going to be safe. My next thought was 'wouldn't it be great if there was something like the Fodors site where you could read about people's good and bad experiences and learn more about what appeals along the way.

Thanks cmt for the Habitat for Humanity suggestion. That's worth looking into.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 06:18 PM

Have you seen www.volunteerabroad.com?
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 06:37 PM

It does really help a lot to be more specific in a search for programs, as you've found out, because there are so many. If you narrow it to type of activity and a few countries (at least area of the world), it helps.

How to you measure them? Well, first look at the costs and just rule out ones you won't pay that are excessive. Many volunteer work programs do have a small fee, but it should be minimal and often covers a small fee for room and board. If you can get references, that is certainly helpful, through school or from the organization itself. Some are affiliated with organization that you can check out themselves and assume they are legitimate and decent.

For your daughter, I have a suggestion for an organization I contribute a lot to and know is well-run and reputable and always rated highly on charity watchdog lists (such as philanthropy.org or similar). That is CARE. It fits her purposes and they have volunteer opportunities in developing countries, working in medical care and other social activities. Costs are not cheap, but I think you are sort of donating to their cause, in some sense. Their cost is $2200 for 2 weeks ( the Peru program) but that includes everything but the air. I know you could just take a vacation for that amount, but it does include insurance. The CARE program is called "CARE Corps" and I know they have some in Peru and Guatemala, perhaps other places.

I think a lot of programs are like that, and although it sounds expensive because you are volunteering, I suspect that these kind of vacation volunteer programs are not really that helpful to the organizations as they have to supervise, train, house, feed, etc the volunteers, and the costs are somewhat high because there is a donation kind of built=in so they can do them. I think a lot of people think they are giving them so much, but in reality, they probably prefer money, unless volunteers are really longterm. I've looked into volunteering for Doctors without Borders, for example, and they require a commitment of a year which I can't really do with my job.

As another benchmark, I know a good reputable program that does restoration work (of important sites and architecture) in Provence and Italy in the summer. That isn't a developing country, of course. That one is about as cheap as I've seen. I imagine it's hard work, especially in the summer, although I think they only work 1/2 days (would have to in that heat). Their web site is www.sabranenque.com. I think their fees were more around $30-50 a day (for room and board), although they aren't that easy to find on their web site now.

IN any case, if money isn't the main concern, but the experience, I know the CARE organization is a good one.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 08:50 PM

I highly recommend Habitat for Humanity. They build houses for people who work along with them to save money and own their own home. I've had a few students involved with them and they've continued well past college.

She might also contact her local Rotary International. They have all kinds of projects all over the world and might even sponsor her so it wouldn't cost as much.

Most churches have an Outreach or Mission committed. She could also check those.

And, as suggested above, a school counselor might offer suggestions.

Good luck.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:02 PM

Christina is exactly right.

Unless you have specific skills (ie. Medical training), or have at least 3 months to volunteer, you are of little help to a volunteer organization. Because, really, what are you bringing to the table that the local population cannot provide. This is especially true in developing countries.

I did a Habitat for Humanity build in Portugal last summer. $1500 for 2 weeks not including travel. We did have two 18 year olds on the trip.

I wrote a trip report; search for it if interested. BTW, it was very hard work. 8 to 9 hours a day during the European heat wave (over 100 F ). We also used some heavy equipment (ie. Crane, cement mixers,Chop saws for cutting brick & block). Make sure your daughter is up to the physical demands. It was a great experience, but not easy.

Another source is www.lonelyplanet.com under the thorn tree forum. Do a search for volunteer under the geographic areas interested in. I have seen several similar questions there.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:59 AM
rex

Thnk you, RD for your re-affrmation that I was not (so) off-base in my interpretation of your question.

I scarcely grasp at all how a web site like SlowTrav gets started. I mean, I know it is due to a lot of thankless work by Pauline and Steve, and I do not entirely grasp what all are ther motives. It's more like I don't quite comprehend how/when one knows that you have a sufficient "critical mass" of info to get it started in the public eye. Bringing thst critical mass of info is the first step of building "community", and ultimately, that community does a lot of the heavy lifting and in the aggregate, "they", the people carry the undertaking forward.

I am not sure where if (or why) Fodors might choose to start a new forum that emulates SlowTrav - - nor if they would be willing to start "YouthTrav".

I still epathize with RD's need for peer-to-peer info on various programs. I browse THIS forum for info on places that I don't know in advance if I will have an interest in them or not. A similar "banquet table" would almost surely be a great aid for famiies like RD's.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:38 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Try large churches in your area. I know lots of people that do this through their church. They usually have to come up with the airfare and a little spending money but the church arranges meals and housing (sometimes just sleeping bags on the floor in a school). I have a friend in South America right now (they go every year) and her daughter will go back and spend the summer there.
A large group of college kids from my area went to Haiti over the Christmas break to volunteer and another group went to Ireland.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:46 AM
jlb

Good Morning.
My 20 year old son is going to India for a month and a half to do some volunteering this summer with a group of students from his university. There are all kinds of groups and volunteer trips offered at schools, colleges and universities, and it has been our experience that they are safe and reliable. They do have travel costs involved with them though.Only my son's time is free.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:16 AM

There are Habitat for Humanity projects all over the US as well, it doesn't have to be overseas. I've participated in projects in San Francisco and other Bay Area locations. Bring your own hammer or favorite tool! Ummm... better check it through your luggage - lo!

An organization that has interested me but to which I haven't contributed time (only donations) is Los Medicos Voladores. They DO take volunteers who are non-medical personnel and their trips could be very short. Check out their website. They have links to numerous medical volunteer groups.

Just a couple of other suggestions!
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Though this question was slightly out of the context of this forum, I thought that you intelligent, worldly, opinionated people who obviously see the benefit of research might be a potential resource. My daughter has taken notes from your answers. Any other input welcome.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 06:50 PM
cmt

Topping for the person looking for summer volunteer activities in Europe.