Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How to get from Zurich to Nice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-to-get-from-zurich-to-nice-690934/)

JeannetteC Mar 25th, 2007 07:28 AM

How to get from Zurich to Nice

We will be flying into Zurich for a vacation in the south of France. What's the most convenient and quickest way to get to Nice, France? Should we fly or take the train? Can you suggest an airline with low fares? Thanks.

Jeannette

Mimar Mar 25th, 2007 08:07 AM

According to www.whichbudget.com, AirBerlin flies from Zurich to Nice. Bur it leaves at 06:45 AM and goes via Dusseldorf. Takes about 7 hours. But that's faster than the train, which takes a minimum of 9 hours and requires at least one change. Maybe you ought to break this up, stop somewhere overnight.

Christina Mar 25th, 2007 08:29 AM

That's a pretty bad location to fly into in order to go to some other city far away, like Nice, as there aren't going to be any great budget airlines that get you somewhere else quickly and cheaply.

I think you can have convenient and quick, or cheap, but not both. Suisse is the only airline that probably flies nonstop between those two points, and that only takes a little over an hour. I'd do that, myself. You can book a roundtrip ticket for about 250-300 euro from some fares I've seen for that route (Suisse nonstop to Nice, return via Lufthansa or Suisse nonstop), and then you'd have to just not use the return portion. The one-way fares are more like 600-700 euro for that flight.

If your time is no issue to you (such as if you don't consider another day's time a cost because you aren't taking vacation days from work), I guess I'd take the train for 9-10 hours over some flight with connections taking seven, that's for sure. I think the train would be more relaxing, and less change of baggage problems or even losing them. It is a long train trip (and will have at least one change), but at least the scenery can be interesting sometimes, and they are more comfortable than airlines and all the flight hassles.

swandav2000 Mar 25th, 2007 09:20 AM

Hi JeannetteC,

Yes, kind of a problem here. You could take the train from the Zurich airport to the Geneva airport, about 3h11, then fly Easyjet from Geneva to Nice, about an hour. It may not be much better than the nine-hour train trip when you factor in the time waiting for luggage when arriving and going through security again when leaving.

Anyway, just a thought.

s

Togo Mar 25th, 2007 01:29 PM

Easyjet flies from Basel to Nice. They have two flights, one on 6:30 AM and 7:35 PM, and it takes 1 1/4 hour. Basel is 1 1/4 hour away from Zurich by train. You need to take a bus from Basel train station to the airport, which is little over an half hour ride.

JeannetteC Mar 25th, 2007 01:48 PM

This is the poster again. Have I made a terrible mistake flying into Zurich? I did so because American Airlines flies there and it looks so much closer than Paris. I was hoping for an upgrade to business class but it looks like I'll have to wait until the last minute to see if I get one. In my guidebook, Zurich is described as a hub city with lots of transporation options so I thought it'd be easy to fly to Nice. My American Airlines tickets are non-refundable but I booked just yesterday. Should I try to change?

Jeannette

Mimar Mar 25th, 2007 03:03 PM

Jeanette, if you want to fly to Nice, don't go to Zurich. Surely one of American's partners goes to Nice. Maybe you can change your tickets.

Even if there was a cheap and easy flight Zurich to Nice, your first flight might be late causing you to miss the cheap flight and lose your money.

Alternately look into visiting Swizerland. It's pretty "nice" too.

scatcat Mar 25th, 2007 06:52 PM

Jeannette

I am flying AA into Nice by way of Zurich the end of May. It only cost me about $40 extra to fly on into Nice at the time of booking. The flight from ZRH to NCE is Swiss, but it is too late if you have already bought your ticket.. This flight does not appear on the AA website, but it can be booked by phone.

JeannetteC Mar 26th, 2007 05:00 AM

Thanks, Scatcat, I'll call AA and see what I can do, if anything. It looks like I'll end up spending the night in Zurich and taking the SwissAir flight to Nice the next morning.

Jeannette

JeannetteC Mar 26th, 2007 05:40 AM

Dear Scatcat,

You saved me! I called AA and they added the roundtrip Nice segment for $15 per person! There was no $200 "change fee" because I didn't change the original flight to Zurich. On top of that, there are SwissAir flights to Nice that don't show up on the SwissAir schedule I looked at so I'll be able to get the flight that day without staying overnight in Zurich. All my problems are now solved. THANK YOU!!!

scatcat Mar 26th, 2007 08:58 AM

Jeannette

I only have one hour and ten minutes for my connecting flight to Nice.(flight #562) I'm glad you got it booked. I do this route about twice a year. You can also fly out of Nice if you ever decide on that. We fly from Nice to Zurich the morning before the day of our flight back to Dallas. Then we can take the train to Lucerne for the afternoon.