Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to get from the Paris airport Courtyard by Marriott Hotel to the Museum D'Orsay by subway?

Search

How to get from the Paris airport Courtyard by Marriott Hotel to the Museum D'Orsay by subway?

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2006, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have to overnight in Paris on our return trip from Spain to the USA. We are staying at the airport Courtyard and want to get to the to the Museum D'Orsay. Can anyone help with getting us there and back using the subway?
Also, any suggestions for a place to have dinner near the Museum?
Thanks
Old May 19th, 2006, 05:49 AM

Take the hotel shuttle to the RER..This connects to the subway. If you have time, I would get off the RER at St. Michel and walk along the Seine to the Quay D'Orsay..a lovely walk..or along St. Sermain til about the rue du Bac then N. along the Seine..this is for the shopping though!!
Old May 19th, 2006, 05:50 AM

..whoop St. Germain
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Travelbunny. How long of a walk is it from those stops to the museum?
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:56 AM

It is a pretty good walk--about 1 mile, but oh, what a walk it is!!!
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:09 AM

As travel bunny mentioned, you take the RER B to the St. Michel station.

If you decide not to walk , transfer underground following the signs to the RER C line, going in the direction of Versailles. Get off at the second stop, which is the Musee D'Orsay. When you exit the RER station, the D'Orsay is immediately next to you.

You use the same ticket(no extra fee). to transfer to the RER C line (Cost 8 Euro/ one-way from the airport.)

When leaving from your airport hotel, make note if you boarded the RER B at the Terminal #1 or Terminal #2 station. (There are separate RER stops for each terminal.)

There is a very reasonable bistro at
Rue de Verneuil 53 (Le Cafe des Lettres). It is about 2 or 3 blocks from the D'Orsay---excellent fish, beef and veal dishes, and a pleasant atomosphere. (It is 1/2 block from the Rue du Bac.

Next door at #51 is a cheese shop called Androuet---excellent selection.

Many people rave about the cafe in the Museum itself.

Since you will be on your feet for seveal hours visiting the D'Orsay, I would most likely train to the D'Orsay first,and then walk back toward St. Michel via the Seine or along Rue de Bac and then turning left and heading down St. Germain des Pres.

You can always take a break at a sidewalk cafe on your way back, rest you feet and people watch!

Old May 19th, 2006, 11:38 AM

I agree with the others who encourage you to walk, at least one way. As Georgine said, a ticket into the city from CDG costs E8.00. I suggest you buy one-day Paris Visite passes for zones 1-5 for E16.75 each when you arrive at CDG. The passes will get you into the city and back to the airport and will cover any other Metro, RER, or bus rides you might decide to take.
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:09 PM

..if you walk alone the Seine and are not distracted it is only a half hour walk. walking along St. Germain and up/down rue du Bac will take slightly longer.....actually I find it takes much longet as I get distracted by shop windows!!
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I now have a better sense of where we actually will be and how to get around. You've been an immense help.
Old May 20th, 2006, 08:11 AM

In my previous post I forgot to tell you how to download and print a metro/RER map. Go to www.ratp.fr. The site is viewable in English.
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:46 AM

The RATP has de-indexed the neighborhood maps that many have found so useful, so they can't be found by going in through the site's "front door." But I know where they are (heh-heh). Here's the one for the Musée d'Orsay RER:

http://www.ratp.info/picts/plans/pdf...usee_orsay.pdf
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:04 AM

By the way, if you're in town on a summer Sunday, you can ride the Balabus, a tour bus that goes up and down both sides of the river, from St-Michel to Mus&eacute;e d'Orsay. Your <i>Paris Visite</i> pass will pay for the whole trip.

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...&amp;nompdf=17

The Bb stops are shown in the plan mentioned above. If you don't want to ride all the way down past the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe on your return trip, you can walk across the river and pick it up eastbound at one of the Tuileries stops and rejoin the RER at Ch&acirc;telet to get back to CDG.