Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to get from Santiago de Compostela to Lisbon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2008, 01:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need to go from Santiago de Compostela to Lisbon but the flights are way too expensive. Can anybody please recommend whether it is a good idea to take a train? If so, what is the best route? Is it a good idea to purchase the Spain-Portugal Euro rail? Or should we consider taking a bus? Or renting a car? Please help!
Many thanks!
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:59 AM

By train, there are connections via Vigo and Porto, but the journey isn't possible in one day because the international trains run only in the morning or evening. You can leave Santiago at 1745 to get to Porto at 2155, then go on to Lisboa in the morning. Alternatively, leave Santiago at 2122, stay overnight at Vigo and leave there at 0740. In either case, you could arrive in Lisboa at lunchtime. Porto is worth visiting if you have time to break the journey. Fast trains run regularly from Porto to Lisboa. Schedules are on www.bahn.de.
There are direct buses. ALSA (www.alsa.es) has one but it's overnight.
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:56 AM

I have endured the International train from Vigo to Porto several times; my comments may be summed up: NEVER AGAIN! It's what we used to call a 'Correo.' It runs very seldom and gets very crowded after it crosses into Portugal. There is no guarantee of a seat unless you buy First Class Tix. Once, in Porto, I was able to run and catch the last Alfa Pendular of the day to Lisbon. Another time we had to overnight in Porto.

Renfe has pretty good service to Túy; and CP (Caminhos Portugueses) has pretty good service between Valença do Minho and Porto. It seems like you should be able to get a taxi across the bridge from Túy to Valença.

There's probably Bus service from Valença to Porto, or maybe all the way to Lisbon.
Old May 1st, 2008, 05:15 AM

I've also used the Vigo-Porto train and it's much like any other local stopping train. It's been fairly empty when I've been on it - which is probably why it only runs twice a day. The problem is that is runs only in the morning or evening, so you need to spend a night in Vigo or Porto. Porto is well worth a visit and it would seem a pity to pass through without stopping to explore.
Old May 1st, 2008, 05:50 AM

Hmmmm..guess there really IS a "difference" between First and Second class after all..but don't tell Rick Steves that.
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:17 AM

I have taken the bus from Santiago to Lisbon, and it's fine. It stops for a break at some point and I believe the only two stops were Leiria and Fatima, but I could be mis-remembering. Check www.movelia.es for schedules. I think there is only one bus a day, leaving in mid morning, and it takes about 6 or 7 hours, I believe (and remember, Spain is an hour ahead of Portugal).

Cost was about 40E.
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much, this is very, very helpful.
Old May 1st, 2008, 03:29 PM

I learned something here today: A Movelia MotorCoach departs Santiago at 10:00 (ET) and arrives Lisboa Oriente at 18:00 (PT) which makes it an overall 9hr trip. Long haul buses usually stop an hour for dinner.

Disregard my earlier post: if there's a thru bus, that's the way to go (price and time-wise).

Go to the Santiago Bus Station the day before you plan to travel and make a reservation! When I bused Sevilla-Lisboa the bus was full.

Lisbon Oriente Multimodal Transportation Center is at the Expo'98 site. You can get anywhere from there by MetroLisboa.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 04:28 AM

The question is pretty old, but still appears quite high on Google, so I will give an updated answer hoping to help people who end up here.

If you want to go directly, the only possibility is by bus:
  • Eurolines and Deinbus offer a direct bus that takes 10h30min.
  • Alsa offers another direct bus that takes 10h.
I did a test on Travelinho.com searching for a trip one week in advance and the prices were around 50€.

There are other options if stopovers are OK; including
  • 2 buses with a stopover of 1h20min in Porto (9h 45min)
  • Train only with 3 changes (9h 13min)
  • Train to Vigo + bus from there (10h 15min)

Search example for August 7th of 2018

Last edited by montannito; Jul 31st, 2018 at 04:31 AM. Reason: more detailed explanation
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 05:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another option is to take an afternoon train to Madrid and then the night hotel train to Lisbon. But the train trip to Madrid is five hours.

I did the train trip from Santiago to Porto back in 2004. No problem with the trains but buying tickets was a hassle. The Spanish train stations wouldn't sell the ticket to Vigo until the morning the train left, and they wouldn't sell a through ticket at all. Should be better now you can buy online.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 03:05 PM

• Train only with 3 changes (9h 13min)>
Bahn.de/en shows some that take 7:40 h with three changes.