Search

How to get from Northern (Eastern) Italy to Salzburg by Train

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get from Northern (Eastern) Italy to Salzburg by Train

Hello All!

Bottom line question: what is the best way (best defined below) to get from Northern Italy (hopefully the Eastern part) to Salzburg by train, date April 22nd-ish.

Here are the details: we will be traveling around Italy for 4 weeks by rental car, starting in Rome and wending our way up through Umbria, Tuscany, Veneto....We don't have solid plans for the most northern part and have kept that a bit open. We are then going to do Austria for another 12 days.

I have discovered that it is much cheaper to rent a car in Italy and leave it there, train to Austria, and pick up another car in Austria. It's less expensive than keeping the car and taking it from Italy to Austria. (rates through AutoEurope). Fodorites, correct me if I'm wrong or have missed something in that plan!

So we'll be needing to get from somewhere in Northern Italy to Salzburg by train. We are concentrating on the Eastern part, having been to Milan and the Western area many times. My ideal would be to go non-stop during the daylight to see beautiful stuff. However, I've checked with the bahn.de site and can't seem to locate a non-stop. I just tried from Venice and from Trieste and no luck with a non-stop (except for one from Venice at night that gets you into Salzburg at 4 AM---whew!).

Instead of mindlessly trying every city I could think of, I thought I'd see if anyone in Fodor's land knew. We can tailor our travels to end up in an optimal city for a train to Salzburg. Also, we're much more used to traveling by car in Europe than the train, so I may be in the dark about something important that I don't even know to ask!

Any insights or suggestions? Thanks so much in advance.

LisaG
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 07:01 AM

I don't have specific suggestions but on Rick Steves web site he has an option to choose to download rail maps of Europe which might give you some ideas of possible routes. Use this link http://www.ricksteves.com/rail/mappack_form.htm
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

laurie_ann

Thanks so much. That link is very helpful. I sent for the map pack that is available on the site, and it got emailed to me right away. Nice site!

LisaG
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 07:24 AM

Just asking - do you really mean non-stop or just not changing? I don't think there are very many non-stop trains between the big cities. And as for the car issue - I think it is common for there to be BIG drop off charges if you rent in one country and return to another so getting a diferent car in Austria is probably the best idea.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 07:41 AM

I don't see any direct day trains. I'm afraid you'll have to change in either Innsbruck or Munich. It's easy to change in both places. If you change in Innsbruck you can get a direct to Salzburg that goes through some very scenic areas. This route is between 3.5 hrs. on an IC and 4 hours on a REX (regional express).
Go to Austria's rail website oebb.at
When you search Innsbruck to Salzburg there will be an option (Via) put Bischofshofen in there for the scenic route. I believe there is an IC at about 2pm that will arrive in Salzburg about 6pm. It's a beautiful ride.
You can catch the first part of the journey going to Munich via Innsbruck from most major cities in Italy. You might even go to Bolzano, Italy for a night to start from there. Nice town.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

suec1, Good catch! I did mean no-change, not non-stop.

TravMimi, Thanks for the info. Innsbruck seems to be the most direct for a change. I'm glad to have you confirm that it's a beautiful trip. I assumed it would be, but sometimes one's assumptions are so wrong! Ii just went to this website, and it's exactly what I needed! Thanks so much. So useful.

Happy Travels!

LisaG
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 08:43 AM

there are currently no direct trains between towns other than Verona to Austria i believe because of a dispute between Trenitalia and the Austrian and Germany railways

From Venice for example there is a bus that takes you to the Austrian border where you can pick up trains to Salzburg

From Verona there are direct trains to Innsbruck, where you would change for Salzburg - the Verona to Austrian border train is run by a private Italian rail line - due to the opening access of railways that the EU just mandated so it is not a Trenitalia train - you, incredibly, cannot buy a ticket in Verona for these trains but can buy it onboard.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 08:50 AM

You can buy rail tickets through Austrian rail:

http://www.obb-italia.com/it/Le_nost...rte/index.jsp#

You could also take a bus run by Austrian rail from Venice or Udine to Villach or Klagenfurt:

http://www.oebb.at/pv/en/All_about_T...ybus/index.jsp
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Palenque,

That would explain why I could not locate fares for these routes!

This is incredibly helpful. So, if I'm understanding you, Verona is the best city in which to drop our Italian car rental and then forge our way to Salzburg. We'd take the private Italian rail line train to Innsbruck, and then take a train to Salzburg.

Another option this raises----should we just pick up our rental car in Innsbruck, and drive onwards to Salzburg? How long is that drive, do you know?

LisaG
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 08:56 AM

Like lovisa says i think Venice would be more convenient to get to Salzburg - check out Lovisa's links - check where the bus goes from Venice and see if it stops at a town where you can return your car. Udine for example
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 09:02 AM

For driving Innsbruck to Salzburg the Michelin guide shows just under two hours and about 25 euro tolls.

Consider the train through, if you are spending a day (or a few) in Salzburg when you first arrive in Austria, as you won't need a rental car right away. Salzburg is all walkable. Just in case that saves you a few days expense of the rental car in that country.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

So much good info.!

So from the latest info. from lovisa, Palenque, and laurie_ann, I am thinking this:

-- Drop car in Venice
--Take bus from Venice to Villach or Klagenfurt (I'll check the trains to see which is the best connection)
-- Take train to Salzburg
-- Pick up car in Salzburg (we're staying about 5 days in a B&B outside town so we can explore the environs. We've been to Salzburg before and want to see more of the countryside to answer laurie_ann's question.)

The links you all have provided are so useful. I consider myself fairly proficient at finding this kind of stuff out, but nothing beats recommendations from people who really know!

LisaG
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 09:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Make sure Austrian rail allows you to print your ticket if you purchase online and that you don't have to pick it up at a station in Austria.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 10:08 AM

On OEBB that journey (Venise-Salzburg via Villach) shows the ICbus from Piazzale Roma or Venise Mestre to Villach as about 3 hours, then 2.5 hour train from there. Total time of 6.5 hours including a little walk and wait. Not too bad.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

kybourbon, Thanks for the input printing the ticket.

TravMimi, Thanks for the route planner and time estimates.

GREAT information! I so appreciate it.

LisaG
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 12:13 PM

Book a train from Verona to Rosenheim (a junction between Munich & Salzburg) at www.bahn.de, fares from only 39 euros. No point in going all the way into Munich, you'd end up doubling back!

Then go back in on the same website and book a connecting train from Rosenheim to Salzburg, allowing at least 45 minutes in Rosenheim to be on the safe side. I reckon there will be some 19 euro fares on that route.

Easy!
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Man_in_seat_61

That's in interesting idea! I will look into that---it also gives us a reason to go to Verona (not that we need a reason!). Thanks for the info.

LisaG
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 09:39 AM

Yup Verona is one of my favorite ancient Italian old towns - lots of old churches - nice market area - the river - and Ersatz or not, Juliet's balcony and Juliet's house - in a neat courtyard.