How to get from Melk to Krems at the end of March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - My husband and I wish to do a day trip to the Danube Valley (staying in Vienna). Following past recommendations, we will take the early train to Melk, tour the abbey, eat lunch...and then, how to get to Krems? Tradition says take the downstream cruise, but they don't begin running till April 1st. Has anyone done this out of season? We will be there the very last week of March. If we want to see the river and towns between the two, is it better to bike, train, or take a bus? Your suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Staci
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 05:49 AM

Currently you can take a bus/train combination from Melk to Krems. In past years a similar schedule in the off season too.

schedule at
www.oebb.at

However the austrian rail system is to have numerous in this area soon.

Several say the bus/ train to be replaced by a new bus to run the entire route.

I would check the new schedule to be usually published in the middle of December for the following year.

As you probably know Melk Abbey has a fixed tour schedule in the winter so this will set your visit times.

March is a very quiet time in this area.
Many things still closed but alwys a visit with fine scenery.

If you have a nice weather day, a bike makes for a great time.

www.leihradl.at

this is a cheap tourist rental allowing pick up in one place and drop in another .
This year the first for it, seems very popular and you can check to be certain the bikes are out at that time.

Melk- Krems is less than 40 kilometers 25 miles - but with the above rental returns possible many places along the way anf then public transport back to Krems.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your help, Molker. If we have nice weather I would love to rent a bike. I was afraid that taking the train would not allow us to view much of the scenery. Do you recommend the bus instead? Unfortunately, this is the only time we have for this vacation.
Staci
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 01:28 PM

At this time you must take a bus from Melk to the village of Spitz on the Danube.
The bus stops at the Spitz train station and from there you take the train to Krems. No current bus service from Spitz to Krems.
The train has good views to the Danube passing through wine gardens ( of course too soon for any green ) views to numerous Castle ruins and more . In many areas the train is elevated above the wine gardens to make the view to the river nicer. Often the river ids perhaps 400 - 500 meters or less from the train tracks.
Numerous stops along the way too in villages like Weissenkirchen, Durnstein and others .

have a look here for added info

www.wachau.at

www.duernstein.at

At this time much discussion in that area regarding the future of the train - the national rail system is said to be selling the rail line to the state of Niederosterreich that is supposedly to make the train into a tourist attraction making it easy to travel through this arera- no decisions that I know of yet.
If the train does not work for sure a bus system will be in use as many commuters , school children , shoppers currently use the train.
The bus must travel on the one and only roadway in this area that runs along side or the river and through the villages - so good views too.

Too bad you must come at this " off season " as the area is really beautiful in summer and fall.
But one is just lucky to be able to travel these days.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Molker,

I don't know if I can bike all the way from Melk to Krems. I think I'd rather bus to Spitz and bike from there. I tried inquiring at leihradl.at regarding renting one way from Spitz, but they either don't have an office there, or didn't understand my email. Do you possibly know if I will be able to find one way rental bikes in Spitz?
If not, we'll have to take a bus/train combination.
Thanks, Staci
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 10:31 PM

The leihradl system does not have an office at each location.

Rather these are unmanned kiosks with bikes ( usually 5-10 )
You simply call the central Leihradl telephone number - give the number of the bike you wish to use - the numbers are large and on the body of the bike- they simply give you the combination to the bike - you insert this combination in the lock and you have your bike. Seats are ajustable and the bike has a basket to carry various items too ( jacket , drinks, snacks etc. )

Then simply ride as far as you wish - relock the bike on the kiosk at that location -advise of return-
I see the bikes regularly , so it is popular convenient and cheap.

In Spitz - a kiosk by the train/bus station and also by the river promenade.
In Weissenkirchen a few kilometers downstream toward Krems -
also kiosks at the train station and also by the Danube ferry