flamenco/dinner suggestions in Madrid

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

need some fodorite help for the last leg of our big trip next month. i'm overwhelmed by the sheer number of restaurants and cafes that offer flamenco shows in Madrid. There are many suggestions online but i want to see what you have to say:

1. It's gonna be on my wife's birthday and she simply wants REALLY good sangria
2. Something inside city center near public transportation (we'll be staying near Puerta de Toledo)
3. Good quality show for decent price. Took a peak at Corral de la Morería which appears to be the highest rated but also the most expensive.
4. I was looking for a place that had a good restaurant with reasonable prices. If it's usually better (cheaper) to dine elsewhere before a show that wouldn't be a problem.
5. It would be on a Saturday night

thanks
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 10:29 AM

Several great tablaos/flamenco venues in central Madrid, and where to go really depends on who are performing on your night. But generally very high standard on the top tablaos. All performances will normally inculde both song, guitar and both male and female dancer.

Corral de la Morería deserves the fame, and Belén López, one of the greatest rising stars on the current scene, dances almost all February. The program for March is not set yet, but if she's on, I would definitely recommend to go here. It will be a short walk from Puerta de Toledo.

Casa Patas would be another great option. In general, I think this has been the best tablao in town in recent years. Staged fabulous artists on a regular basis for some years now. Close to the Tirso de Molina metro station, but also within easy walking distance of Puerta de Toledo. A taxi would be some 4-5€. http://www.casapatas.com/index.asp

Both tablaos serve fine food, but I would perhaps recommend going to a restaurant or some tapas bars before attending the late night performance (usually the best option, more locals and better atmosphere). You stay very close to one of the best restaurant and tapas bar districts in town, in and around Calle Cava Baja in La Latina. From there it's some 10 mins walk to either tablao. But I also have a soft spot for the restaurant and bar at Casa Patas, the performance is in a local in the back.

Some recent performances from world class artists at Casa Patas:
Belén López: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvHLRmL347U
Israel Galván, the most cutting edge male flamenco dancer today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL9Wav9v7Jc
Pastora Galván was voted best female flamenco dancer 2010 by Spanish critics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY6Vy...eature=related
Concha Jareño, one of my favourites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95ORMp_E2AY

There are also some other grat options close to you, and I can give more accurate advice later when the programs are set.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 11:19 AM

The big flamenco shows begin next wee in New York City, the 1st of March, so it might have some impact on who's performing during the first couple of weeks in Madrid.

You might want to refer to Maribel's Guide to Madrid regarding the venues (www.maribelsguides.com) and what to expect.

Getting good sangria can be a problem in Madrid. It's not a local beverage, but some places do serve something that passes for sangria.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

kimhe: i read some pretty good things about Casa Patas....... glad to know someone here approves. will definitely be looking to do a hardcore tapas crawl as well so thanks for mentioning Calle Cava Baja

Robert2533: that's disappointing about the Sangria but it is what it is.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 04:38 PM

I usually prefer to go to theaters or local flamenco clubs (peñas) for cutting edge flamenco. Most of my two-three travels every year to Spain for the past eight years have been guided by flamenco performances. But again, some of the greatest use the tablaos to experiment and get an up front encounter with an audience, and to be in that audience seems to be exactly what you're looking for.

Have had some serious tablao nights, they also can be gold. A night at a good tablao in Madrid should at least give you a feeling of the beauty of this art or it could be an experience never to forget. All the "Casa Pata arists" I mentioned, but Concha Jareño, have previously filled theaters during the annual New York flamenco festival as solo artists.

I fell in love with Concha Jareño's dancing in Madrid a couple of years ago, in the huge outdoor Puerta del Ángel theater. She comes in at 1.40: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIpVunenY-A
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 11:42 AM

Hi there:
I'm a madrileño local. Flamenco shows are not that great in the city centre. They tend to get authentic and tourit-free as you move to more ordinary districts. Nevertheless, and though you won't get to see how spontaneous flamenco can really get, Madrid is the place to be if you want to become someone in the flamenco world nowadays. That means there are really great artists around.

A good option for you would be to try what's on in terms of flamenco festivals in Madrid. You might be better off going to a theatre where everybody will be local than to going to a well-known place that appears in all the guide books. I totally agree with kimhe (above) on that. Check it out, and then take your woman to the Cavas area, Capitán Alatriste is a very good option, lamb and suckling pig in the Castilian fashion and maybe some decent Sangría. But bear in mind Sangría's never been a serious drink, us Spaniards barely have it at all except for some summer occasions, so don't be too demanding about it!!! Get in touch if you need more advice. And if you do have to choose a place, I would go for Casa Patas and not for el Corral. All the best! Sean.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 01:41 AM

Agree on many things Sean, but some of the very best flamencos in the world perform regularly in the tablaos in central Madrid.

Marco Flores tore down the house a couple of days ago in the superprestigious flamenco festival in Jeréz, and he dances most of the time in Las Carboneras just off Plaza Mayor in the heart of Madrid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-FVsvGBsR4
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

thank you guys. i'll let you know what we ended up doing and how it went
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 03:19 AM

The walls at Casa Patas may resound with flamenco history the two last Saturdays in March.

On Saturday the 24th magnificent, young Belén López dances. She has rightfully been compared to Carmen Amaya (1913-1963), the greatest flamenco dancer of all times. Both Catalan and extremely powerful. Here in an early performance at Casa Patas at 18-19 years: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8P5uFygAC0

On Saturday March 31st, Carmela Greco dances. Daughter of legendary flamenco dancer José Greco with her own great career. She was among the pioner dancers of what turned into the Spanish National Ballet in the 1970's, and she has danced on the most important flamenco scenes both in Spain and abroad since that, among those many in the US.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VzJAX2LTsU

The atmosphere at Casa Patas is the best. Haven't had dinner here, but I've heard they serve fine, traditional food. The 15 meter bar is excellent.

Reservations:
http://www.casapatas.com/actuaciones.asp
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

do you recommend booking in advance? i'm assuming we can do this
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

i'm sorry... i didn't see where you posted reservations
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 12:07 AM

Yes, I recommend booking in advance.

Here is online booking; http://www.casapatas.com/reservas.asp

Or just call them: +34 913 690 496
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

as per the advice i booked ahead for the espectaculo at CasaPatas and my wife and i were really impressed! We first ate at a restaurant that was only a 3 minute walk and then made our way there. We were pleasantly suprised that we were seated in the very first row. (maybe because it was my wife's birthday?) We found the sangria here and at the restaurant we ate at very good and it was included in our ticket. The dancers were very spirited and showed lots of emotion and energy. i got tired just watching her legs constantly tap the ground! anyway thanks for the wonderful suggestion. We had a blast!
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 09:03 PM

Glad to hear you had a great night!
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 12:10 AM

Reserving in advance many times gets you front row seats IME. For others considering Casa Patas, the food in the restaurant was very well executed. The buzz in the place before the show was exciting as the artist's friends and family congregate to watch the show.