How To Get From Madrid to Sevilla

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be arriving by air from London into Madrid early afternoon on a Friday early May. We would like to be in Sevilla by early evening that same day. I would appreciate suggestions for how to get there. The AVE train is an option but appears to be very expensive.I would appreciate hearing from peoples first hand experiences.

Click here to find out more!
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 09:45 PM

There are good long-distance buses by Socibus, and possibly flights in your budget if you check Vueling and Iberia and skyscanner and whichbudget and airninja. But if you arrive after lunch your options for buses the same day may be limited, they take 6 hours or so and you have to go into town to catch one.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your suggestions. This is the first time I have used this site and after I posted my question I discovered I could place it in a more specific location than 'general'. Hence, I copied it into this 'Spain' section.
Is the Iberia airline a reliable one? We are coming north from Australia and are not overly familiar with the European internal airlines.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 12:44 PM

We just did that run two weeks ago. The bus is out of the question if you need to be in Seville by early evening. It is either fly or the AVE train. We took the train. Without my checking I think it was about 2 and half hours and about 60E. I thought that was reasonable price. I will see if I can find my ticket stubs for an exact price.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 01:03 PM

I would recommend you take the AVE. Its a nice relaxing ride. Just keep in mind that a cab fare from Barjas airport will probably run the two of you about 30 Euro so add that on top of your price. Conversely, the Sevilla train station is much closer to downtown than is the airport and the cab fare to your hotel will be cheaper... RENFE has a nice ticket counter at the airport where you may purchase your AVE tickets...
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 01:03 PM

You can check the times and prices on the renfe.es - Spanish rail - website. Web fares are more like 30€ - however, right now it seems impossible to buy them online unless you have a Spanish bank credit card. From other posts here, it seems they are trying to fix this issue - so maybe you can try to buy your tickets two months in advance and the site will be fixed...

I'll be making this trip the beginning of February and have resigned myself to paying the regular fare.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 01:11 PM

I don't think you need to buy tickets in advance. We did not. Just bought then at the airport. Although we overnighted in Madrid, the train station is connected via subway with the airport.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 08:26 AM

Just checked by tickets. We paid 75E for Madrid to Seville, 2nd class. Not sure where Mara is getting the 30E fare unless it is some type of prepurchase. I thought 75 was reasonable for the distance and time.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 08:54 AM

Yes, the 30€ is an advance online only web fare from renfe.es which unfortunately seems to be unavailable unless you have a Spanish bank credit card at this point....
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 01:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks dheathco,

I'm another Australian heading to Spain. My trip is late March and I'll be there for about 10-14 days.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 03:15 PM

We flew Iberia from Madrid to Seville. I was surprised how inexpensive our one-way flight was.

Google to see what you find as it may be worthwhile spending a few dollars more and having more time in Seville. It's a fabulous city and I wished we would have had more time there.