How to get from Ireland to Paris

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get from Ireland to Paris

My friend, who will be in Ireland the same timeI am in Paris, is thinking of joining me in Paris for a few days while I am there. She needs to find the easiest and cheapest way to get from Ireland to Paris. She said she thinks there might be a ferry from Ireland to France? and then take a train into Paris. Or take a ferry to Wales and work her way back to London and take the Eurostar to Paris. What do you think?
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 02:06 PM

I would look into some of the low cost flights between France and Ireland...

www.europebyair.com
www.ryanair.com
www.britishairways.co.uk

there are many more but I'm blanking out right now. You should easily find round trip fares from under $200 USD.
Good luck! (cheaper than the eurostar and all of the subsequent travel that that would entail...)
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 02:07 PM

Hi, Barb:

No, no, no, no, no. The only sane way to do this is to fly Ryanair from either Shannon or Dublin to Paris. It's way way faster and way way cheaper than the alternatives you mentioned.

For just one example, a ferry from southern Ireland to Cherbourg takes something like 18 hours, and you're still a long way from Paris.

Ryanair is a budget carrier, if you're not familiar with them, and while they have very affordable prices, they're strict on luggage limits, offer no food, and land in out-of-the-way airports, among other things. Still, for price/value/time, they're the way to go for you and your friend.

Travel safely, and have a wonderful time in Paris!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 02:19 PM

In many ways, the best thing about Ryanair and Easyjet is the effect they've had on the other carriers.

Go to ebookers.ie and look at what Aer Fungus, Air France, bmi and Bloody Awful have to offer (changing flights in London, Manchester or Birmingham, though grisly, might be worth it financially).

Engineer it so she's "away" on a Saturday night, and you might match Ryanair AND get the reassurance the conventional airlines offer
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:50 AM
rex

<<the reassurance the conventional airlines offer>>

I cannot imagine what this means - - unless you're talking about drinking water at no charge.

RyanAir is absolutely the way to get from Ireland to Paris.

You do need to be aware that the arrival is at Beauvais airport - - a good 50 minutes distant from the city. there is bus service whose times match up to arriving RyanAir flights. Details here - - http://www.ryanair.com/destinfo03/dests/paris_bus.pdf - - on the ryanair site.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Aer Lingus offers fares at 49 euro each way, direct to CDG. RyanAir is great, however the airport is way out of the city. Combine whatever cab fare and travel time it may cost to get from Beauvais with the cheap RyanAir fare, and I'd take the convenience of Aer Lingus on this one.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:49 AM
rex

Okay, with a fare that competitive, Aer Lingus is at least worthy of equal consideration to RyanAir, I will concede - - but my concession would be for the greater transport options from CDG into the city - - not because there is something inherently unacceptable about RyanAir.

The time savings differential (comparing CDG to Beauvais) would likely be less than 20 minutes, if I am not mistaken - - but of course, that depends on how far is the "final" destination from Porte Maillot. After all, it's not like the commute from CDG is all that quick either.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Totally agree on RyanAir, Rex. I'm a big fan of theirs myself but also like Aer Lingus. Given the option though, which we have here, I'd rather fly into CDG than Beauvais.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

As always, thanks for your great info. She took your advice and booked a flight from Dublin to DeGaulle on BMI British for $176.70 (note sure if that's as cheap as Ryan or Aer Lingus), but she's pretty happy with it. It certainly is cheaper than ferrys, trains, etc., not to mention much faster. Thanks again.