Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to get from Florence to Montalcino, then Montalcino to Rome?

Sep 14th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

We aren't renting a car, so we need to travel by train or bus. I tried to check www.trenitalia.com but it keeps telling me there is no solution so I assume there is no train.

Any ideas on how to travel, and/or pointers to web sites so I can check schedules?

Also, should I book these tickets in advance or should there be enough available seats to just buy them at the station when leaving? We're travelling by train Venice/Florence as well.

TIA - R.
Sep 14th, 2008, 03:23 PM

There was a recent thread on this exact subject. I believe Siena was the "hub" for travelling to Montalcino: Train (or bus) Florence to Siena, then bus to Montalcino.

Someone who lives in the region posted websites with timetables and information on the transfer in Siena.

If you can't find the thread, keep refreshing this one. Someone will have the info.
Sep 14th, 2008, 03:54 PM

Why are you picking Montalcino when you will not have a car? You will want a transport hub--that would be Florene or Siena. I would drive. Montalcino is super but quite isolated.
Sep 14th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for this - any idea who the main bus companies are in Italy (now to get from Siena to Montalcino).

And do we need to book train tickets in advance?

To answer the other question, Montalcino seemed to be the real center of things for lovers of Brunello di Montalcino, and while we don't have a car we're booing wine tours. I decided I did not have any desire to visit wineries then drive! THe isolation isn't a problem as long as we can get there, get out, and have drivers during the day.

- R.
Sep 14th, 2008, 04:28 PM

Rooster,

I drove and stayed in Montalcino 3 nts. Loved it!

Can your wine tour companies pick you up at the nearest station?
Sep 14th, 2008, 04:42 PM

The reason you get "no solution" is because there is no train service to Montalcino. I think the nearest train station is at Buonconvento which is about 8-10 miles north It's a self-service station.

The bus service from Siena to Montalcino is operated by Tra-In. Their website appears to be under construction, so I can't pull up a timetable.

http://www.trainspa.it/en/home.html

You can catch a train at Buonconvento for Rome, but these are all regional trains with many stops. The journey would be 3-4 hours which is a long time for such a short trip.

I agree that Montalcino is not the best base without a car.
Sep 14th, 2008, 05:02 PM

If you absolutely cannot have a car, then I would base from Sienna. that being said, we flew into florence, spent some days there and pick up a car to drive to montalcino for several days stay at an agritourismo. We drove back to florence, dropped the car and took the train to venice from there. the hertz office is literally around the corner from the train station in florence so its a piece of cake.
Sep 14th, 2008, 05:14 PM

Rooster99,
See http://www.trainspa.it/EXTRAURBANO.htm look at 114.

Henry
Sep 15th, 2008, 06:32 AM

Try this website for buses from Florence to Siena:

www.sitabus.it

This is schedule to Siena:

http://www.sitabus.it/sita-toscana/Firenze-Siena08.pdf

Do not take train from Florence to Tuscan Hill towns like Poggibonsi - take the bus. From Siena it is another bus that take about 1 hour to go the 20 miles. As others have said, Montalcino is best reached by car. Here is a video of the church in Montalcino, which has Salimbeni's inside they are trying to rescue:

http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...=&ref_item=361

Video of Montalcino and surrounding area coming soon.

You can book these tickets in Florence when you get there. Your hotel in Florence can also be helpful by checking SITA times once you decide when you will go.