Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to get from CDG to Rue mouffetard in the 5th?

Mar 1st, 2006, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Any advice, i.e. air france bus, taxi, metro? to get to our apartment at 36 rue mouffetard in the 5th from CDG. I read that sometimes it not worth the hassle and to just take a taxi, but can we take the Air france bus and THEN take a taxi? Where does the air france bus go? Hotels? Which stop would be closest? Dont look forward to hauling suitcases up and down metro stairs after overnight flight. any advice welcome.thanks.
Mar 1st, 2006, 10:12 PM
tod

Very simple.
Get the RER to Gare de Nord then join the line for a taxi to your hotel.
Once off the plane I take my time, let all the other people rush around like chickens without heads. Even at Gare de Nord - no rush, sit and have a divine coffee before getting a cab!
Mar 1st, 2006, 10:20 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, it's been 15 years since I've been What's RER? Thanks.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:08 AM

The RER is like a regional Metro.

Once I was bumped from my flight back to the States and I had to spend an extra day in Paris (how awful, LOL) I took the RER from CDG to St Michel. It was very simple.

When I go to France I get on the Air France shuttle bus to Gare Montparnasse then taxi to hotel. ( I am usually taking a train out of Montparnasse to Brittany).

There are several Air France Buses. I believe they go to the train stations, Gare Montparnasse & Gare de Nord and there is one that goes to the Arc de Triomphe. I am not sure if there are buses that go to the other train stations.

Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:25 AM
tod

Thanks for explaining Cheribob!
RER stands for Regional Express Railways and is a commuter train going in and out of central Paris to various airports and other destinations like Disney for instance.
Marshacarlin - Please don't leave home without a good all encompassing Guide Book - I particularly like the Eyewitness Travel Guide which has a metro map and detailed street map.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:14 AM

Take the RER B from CDG to Luxembourg station and walk from there. It's only a few blocks to rue Mouffetard.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:18 AM

I've done both and vastly prefer to just take a taxi right from CDG. You can just sit back and before you know it you're there! No hiking all over, hauling your luggage, trying to find your apartment. (We did that once in the pouring rain...) Our fare for four and luggage (inc. tip) was $62 to an apt VERY close to Mouffetard. The traffic was slow -- but I didn't care, I wasn't driving! We just got the taxi at the CDG taxi line and there was no wait.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:26 AM

Since you say you are not looking forward to hauling suitcases up and down stairs, I would strongly suggest a taxi. After a sleepless night, that's my preferred transport. I haven't tried the Air France bus, however.

I spent last week at an apartment quite near the rue Mouffetard and really like that area. I'm almost finished with my trip report, which you can find here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34762455
Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:02 AM
tod

Just had a look at 36 Rue Mouffetard and seen what a lovely locale it is.
Only a few steps away from Place de la Contrescarpe and Rue du Pot de Fer with its numerous restaurants.
I was wondering what "The Blue Note" was
next door? I got so carried away with my walk up Rue Mouff I went right over the hill and down past Arenes Lutece.......brought back so many happy memories of 2004!
The thing I love about PagesJaune.com - you can go down any Paris street any time you feel inclined...just lovely!

Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

tod, thanks for looking, I was hesitant to take "trip" with the pages jaunes but will do so right now. You guys are the best!
Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:22 AM

I would also suggest getting off at the Luxembourg station if you are willing to walk. The Place de la Contrescarpe is not far behind the Pantheon. But if you do not want to walk, I believe that there is a taxi stand at Denfert-Rochereau (two stops beyond Luxembourg). The station is much easier to navigate and it is much closer to your ultimate destination.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

thanks, Michael, the kind of specific info is so helpful. I appreciate it very much.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:00 AM

Tod - shouldn't that link be PagesJaune.fr ?
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:06 AM

or www.pagesjaunes.fr ?
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:10 AM

marsha- I am the one who stayed in "your" apt. We cabbed it from CDG to a hotel in the 5th for a 3 day stay then walked from the hotel to the apt.

I hadn't been to Paris in many years and after an all night flight, with the time change and no memory of the metro and train stations we chose to take a taxi. It was about $60 with the tip.

I was staying in France for a month and with all my bike riding gear I had two suitcases so the taxi was the best choice for me. If I had just a carryon bag and knew the public transport system I would definitely give the train a try.

BTW- I did the same thing tod did earlier today for a little trip down memory lane. I "walked" down the street using pagesjaunes. You can definitely see the crepe stands I mentioned on either side of "the big blue door."
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Do you just love this board?! I'm afraid I'm an addict. I have things to DO!!!! but I just keep coming back and checking and reading and laughing and signing. It's great. no wonder folks meet up on their trips. I feel like I have good friends on Fodor's and want to share the experience in person as well as in cyberspace...thanks again for the help and encouragment.
Yes, I saw the creperies in you blog, delightful.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

that would be "sighing" not signing.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:48 AM

I meant much easier to navigate than the gare du Nord and much closer, in case that was not clear.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:57 AM

You can save a lot of clicking by going directly to http://photos.pagesjaunes.fr

A good compromise between schlepping luggage through Métro stations and paying for a taxi all the way is this: take the RER to St-Michel or Luxembourg and take a taxi from there.

After all, if you got off the plane at CDG and your final destination was Lyon, what would you do? You'd take the train to town and a taxi to the hotel.

The RER/Métro map is here:

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...secteur&fm=pdf
Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:02 PM

If you're a party of only two, then consider a shared shuttle. It's 20-25 Euro per person. Viator.com has it for $21 and change which is a very good price.

But if you're a party of 4, then obviously a taxi works out to be cheaper.

Air France bus or RER is fine but I don't want to deal with transferring to a taxi or metro, especially with luggage.

Even carryon luggage can be pretty heavy to lug up and down metro stations to street level.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO