Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to get from Bayonne to Florence by train?

Old Feb 24th, 2014, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wanting to travel from Bayonne/Biarritz (France) to Florence (Italy) on Saturday 12 July. I am meeting friends in Spello (Italy) on Monday 14 July, so am wanting to make the journey over the weekend (I can only leave Bayonne after Friday 11th). It is too expensive to fly, so preferring to travel by train. Any ideas about the most efficient way to go or which rail travel sites to check? Do I need a Eurail pass for this journey?
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 03:03 AM

Using any pass for that journey would be a huge waste of money.

For schedules go to bahn.de and it will shows options for all of europe. (It gives schedules for all of europe but prices only for trains in Germany - so to actually get prices and tickets you would have to go to the website for the French RR system.)

And you may want to reconsider flying, since it looks like this trip will take between 22 and 24 hours on the train - with from 2 to 5 changes of train along the way. Not a direct route available.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 03:31 AM

Have you priced flights from Bordeaux to Florence or Pisa or from Toulouse?
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 03:32 AM

That would be an extremely long train trip. There used to be an overnight Elipsos train from Perpignan to Milan. That would let you at least do most of the trip at night. We took it a few years ago, and really enjoyed the trip, but I don't think they're running that route any more.

The quickest route, and also that with the fewest changes, would be to take a high-speed train to Paris, and from there an overnight train to Milan, and finally a train to Florence.

Air France has direct flights from Biarritz to Florence, but they're not cheap. There are more reasonably priced flights with a layover in Paris. I think that would be a much better way to get there. I use www.skyscanner.net to find budget one-way flights.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 06:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>Have you priced flights from Bordeaux to Florence or Pisa or from Toulouse?