Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > How to get from Annecy to Domme in 4 days - seeking advice.

How to get from Annecy to Domme in 4 days - seeking advice.

Mar 5th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

How to get from Annecy to Domme in 4 days - seeking advice.

After a 5 night stay in Annecy we're heading to the Dordogne for a week. I have 4 nights I can devote to travel between the two and I am at a crossroad - pun intended. I know many are opposed to one-nighters, we are not - especially since we're staying put for a week in the Domme/Sarlat area.

Looking for a mix of natural/scenic highlights and towns/villages.

- I'm looking at taking a southern route to the Gorges du Tarn via Le puy-en-Velay.

- Overnight in the Gorges region? From here I'd like to head to Carcassonne but feel I'm getting too far south if I do that.

- From the Gorges region or Carcassonne I'd like to head to and possibly visit the Grotte de Mech-Perle & Saint-Cirq-Lapopie.

- Then on to the Rocamadour area...Gramat, Conques, Figeac, Gouffre de Padirac

Need help with where to overnight and how much is actually doable in a day. Other towns to consider - towns to omit - perhaps a more northern route to include Puy de Dome?

And I just discovered Maititom will be there the same time - I pray we're not following on his heels or they won't let us in!!

Thank you all.
Mar 5th, 2011, 08:26 AM

Both of those routes would be quite nice. The Languedoc region is actually quite well-suited for 1 nighters - but as you stated - that is a far dip south.

For a greater variety of landscapes, the Auvergne would be a good choice to complement Annecy and the Dordogne. We stayed for 2 weeks in the Puy de Dome region, and 1 week near Salers in the Cantal. Both beautiful areas - fewer "cute little villages" (except for Salers) than the Dordogne - but lots of Chateaux that are open in the summer
http://www.route-chateaux-auvergne.o...te_anglais.htm
These are different types of Chateaux than you'll see in the Dordogne. I think we visited about 90% of them while were were there on 3 seperate vacations.

I recently posted something about the Puy de Dome region - click on my name or do a search to find it.

Stu Dudley
Mar 5th, 2011, 08:37 AM

Travel through the Massif Central. For a upscale stay, consider le Pré Bossu in Moudeyres.

From a previous trip report:

"From Pérouges, our last overnight in the Jura, we went to Moudeyres in the Auvergne. We had been there 16 years ago, and visited a farmhouse turned into a museum whose roof was being re-thatched. We had stayed at the cheap hotel in the center of the village and had noticed a fancy auberge at the edge of town which in those days already was non-smoking, perhaps because of its thatch roof. It looks like a converted farm house, but in fact was built from scratch about 30 years ago. We had some difficulty making a reservation at Le Pré Bossu (http://www.auberge-pre-bossu.com/) because in April they were not open for business, and it turns out that it was perhaps not necessary as the place was almost empty and they had just recently opened for the season. But it is not clear that they accept walk-in traffic, and any web search under Moudeyres or Le Pré Bossu will indicate that reservations are a must in high season. It is one of the fanciest places we stayed at--200€ for demi pension, with a total of 250€ when wine is added. The meal was excellent. They also provide picnic baskets for those who are staying there more than overnight and wish to take a hike in the countryside. Moudeyres feels quite isolated but is only a couple of hours from Lyon and thus has become a vacationing village on the eastern Auvergne plateau--I believe that it is a plus beau village. The museum is interesting but can only be seen with a guide because the tools and kitchen implements are lying around as if it were a 19th century working farm."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7623313123155/

Search this Thread