Reload this Page >

How to get around with a 20 month old?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Jennifer

I'm off to England in March with 4 adults and a 20 month old. After reading the other messages here, having second thoughts about renting a car. We'll be in Bath for 3 nights and wanted to see Stratford, Warwick, etc.... What's the best way to get to these places from Bath .... by bus? train? Help!

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 04:10 PM
ida

rent a van

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 03:29 AM
Ruth

I'm not sure what specifically has put you off renting a car, but I would think that it is your most convenient option. Trains and buses are of course possible, but can be complicated and time-consuming for travelling across country. Not many buses have restrooms!<BR><BR>If you decide to rent a car, make sure you specify that you need a child seat (it is a legal requirement, and so they shouldn't let you have the car without it, but if they weren't warned, there might be a delay while they get hold of one). Also, renting an automatic rather than a stick-shift will lessen the problems of driving on the left. You might consider a MPV (?multi person vehicle) to give yourselves enough room.<BR><BR>Bath, Stratford and Warwick are not far apart (less than 100 miles) so certainly do-able as day trips (or even combine Stratford and Warwick in one day). Warwick Castle is great (not cheap to visit!) - Warwick town itself would not take long to see. You would be on reasonably good roads throughout (mostly A-roads rather than dual-carriageways or motorways (not sure of the US translation of these terms!)), you wouldn't have to navigate through any big cities, and you'd have the chance to see some of the Cotswolds (e.g. Stow-on-the-Wold) on the way.<BR><BR>Good luck - we rented a car in Portugal when our son was 18 months, and found it to be a good way of getting around - even though we had to drive on the "wrong" side of the road! ;-)

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 04:18 AM
Ruth

One other thought - you can buy a Road Atlas of Britain (4 miles to the inch) at gas stations/larger newsagents/ supermarkets etc for 5 pounds or less.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Joanne

I agree with Ruth -- rent a minivan and be sure to get an automatic transmission as well as a car seat. Learning to drive British style is a lot less hassle than coping with busses and trains.<BR><BR> We spent 2 nights each in Bath and Stratford last summer. Warwick is just 5 or 10 miles up the road from Stratford, but if you try to do both places as a day trip, you won't do justice to either. Remember that with a toddler and a group of 4 adults, everything happens in slow motion.<BR><BR>At Warwick, be sure the toddler visits the peacocks!<BR><BR>Since Bath is at least 90 minutes from Stratford, why not spend the night there rather than drive up and back?

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 10:34 PM
Jennifer

Thanks everyone for your help and advice!