How to fit in lunch before our Galleria Borghese visit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would appreciate comments or suggestions as to whether I should plan on our group of 5 going to lunch before our visit to the Gallerie Borghese.

Our reservation is at 1pm on a Thursday in May. We have to pick up our tickets at 12:30. Our apartment is near the Pantheon which mappy.com indicates should be about a 1/2 hour walk.

I don't want to miss any opportunities to eat in Rome but I'm wondering if trying to have lunch before visiting the museum might have us running from place to place.

If not a restaurant meal, is there somewhere on our route that we can stop for sit down eating of a sandwich or salad or is that unlikely at 11-11:30 in the morning?

It's very important to me that my two college age nieces see as much of Rome as possible during our week but not feel they are being rushed from one activity to another. Thank you for any comments or suggestions. Deborah
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 06:20 AM

That might be the perfect day to have lunch at your apartment.
That way you don't have to wait to be served.

Go out in the morning and pick up some fresh bread and deli stuff or you could buy ready made sandwiches ...lots of these places don't have anywhere to sit down though so just return to your apartment for lunch.

Alternatively there is a cafe in the basement of the Borghese.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 06:22 AM

Oops, forgot to add that you could take a picnic to the Borghese gardens as another alternative
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 06:25 AM

How about a short stroll to Campo de Fiori?
There are two Rosciolis close to each other: a bakery and a deli-cum-restaurant stacked with goodies - cheeses, hams, wines, olive oils. Via dei Guibbonari 21/22.

Il Forno di Campo dei Fiori, the legendary place for pizza bianca is also close by. Campo dei Fiori 22. Next door is its affiliated bakery with wonderful fig and prosciutto sandwiches made with pizza bianca.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 06:26 AM

You could try GiNa, just off Piazza di Spagna; it's open starting at 11 am. You'll pay a bit of a premium for a chi-chi concept and location, but it's convenient and on your way. You can then take the underground route from the Spagna Metro to the top of Via Veneto.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 06:42 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Many places won't be open for lunch that early. You might be better off having a late breakfast.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 07:22 AM

Actually as I recall there is a nice cafe at the Galleria
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 08:16 AM

I wouldn't walk from the Pantheon to the Galleria Borghese, but if I did, I would expect it to take more than a half-hour. Leave more time that Mappy is telling you.

Since you have an apartment, acquire the makings of a picnic from Rome's great markets and gastronomie and stow it in the fridge. Buy lots of napkins and cheap tote to haul it up the hill and eat in the gardens.

It may turn out to be the best meal you have in Rome. Fresh Italian produce, olives and cheese and breads bought direct is often scads better than what you get in restaurants.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 09:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
At the top of Via Veneto before you cross under the ancient wall and the street to the Borghese Gardens, there is a supermarket below street level. Take the escalator down (located to the right of Harry's Bar which is on the left side of street). It is a large market where you can buy wine and picnic provisions to enjoy in the Gardens.

Use Google Maps to locate Harry's Bar, zoom in and scroll to right to see escalator leading to the market (and parking garage and metro entrance)
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 09:41 AM

I took my elderly Mom to the Galleria Borghese a few years ago, and we bought sandwiches and water in the little cafe in the basement of the gallery, and ate them outside in the sunshine.

But bringing some picnic food yourself is also a great idea. There are plenty of places outdoors to sit, and then you won't feel too rushed. Even one person could go in and get the tickets while the rest of your group relaxes.

I have walked to the Borghese from the Campo dei' Fiori, and back, several times. It does take more than a half hour, maybe 45 minutes. And it's quite uphill to the Borghese (which makes it a bit easier going back!)

I've also taken the little electric bus, I think it's the 116, which runs throughout the historic centre and up to the Borghese gardens. It stops a short distance (maybe 5 minutes) from the Galleria itself.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so very much for the suggestions. Shopping for picnic ingredients at a market/grocery would give the girls a chance to experience something other than food being served to them.

If the weather is favorable a picnic sounds perfect, and if the weather is not pleasant I'll be prepared with an extraordinary breakfast

zeppole, if you wouldn't walk to the Borghese would you take the bus or a taxi? I've never been on a bus in Rome yet and if a taxi is recommended we'll have to locate the closest taxi stand. According to mappy.com we are about 1/2 hour walk to the Colosseum, Vatican and Borghese- If we do take taxis will we have a problem trying to find one for 5 people? Thanks

You have all been so helpful and given terrific suggestions. Thanks again, Deborah
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 11:13 AM

We also had an apartment near the Pantheon and ended up walking to the Borghese - it is about 45 minutes and quite a bit up hill. We had planned on taking the 116 bus but it was running infrequently that day, so we ended up walking. Its definitely doable - just make sure everyone has very good walking shoes on and the right attitude!
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 11:54 AM

It's not rocket science to take a bus in Rome. Several people have mentioned that the little electric bus No. 116 goes to the Villa Borghese park. Largo Argentina, a few steps from the Pantheon, is a major bus hub where you can take direct buses to the Vatican, the Colosseum or Roma Termini, among other places.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

zerlina, it may not be rocket science but I think I have something like "bus riding anxiety" I know I've been a sufferer of that since my first day of kindergarten when I was dropped off on the wrong street, miles from my home---flashes of that lost 5 year old come to me when I think about bus riding and that was 50 years ago!!!

The ATAC website does have a good route planner so I do hope to become comfortable with Rome buses. Thanks, Deborah
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 12:33 PM

If you are in Rome for 3 or more days, buy a Roma Pass, which will allow 3 days of free bus rides so you don't have to worry about having the correct fare -- all you have to do is hop on and ride. The packet also has an excellent map of the bus lines. It also gives you free admission (or is it half-price? I forget) to many museums, although it does not include the Vatican's sights.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 02:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
The Roma Pass gives you free admission to your first two sites that are covered by the pass... would be a good idea to use at the Borghese Gallery and the Colosseum. In addition to free bus travel, you can use the metro with it... and the metro in Rome doesn't get much simpler! No reason for anxiety!
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 04:15 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>According to mappy.com we are about 1/2 hour walk to the Colosseum, Vatican and Borghese<<<
It's uphill to the Borghese which I don't think mappy factors in. Stops/routes for the 116 bus.
http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=9
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, we will be buying the Roma Pass and yes it will make taking the bus easier.

I thought I saw that the Capitolini Museum now charges 11 euros admission, so along with the Colosseum that will be our two free museums to visit with the pass and we'll just take a discount at the Borghese

kybourbon, thanks to you for providing the atac link in other threads, I've been using it in my day planning. It's a great help. Deborah
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:58 AM

I have a swell suggestion for a stop before or after the Borghese or a trip to the gardens.

Cafe Ciampini on Viale Trinità dei Monti - this is at the top of the Spanish Steps, basically opposite the French Academy. With your back to the steps you head left (north) along the Viale. Ciampini will be on your left, set in its own garden of flowers etc, overlooking everything below. As you walk along the viale in either direction you see some lovely views.

They serve sandwiches, salads, great desserts and, of course, splendid coffee. You are right on the edge of the gardens there, and I think it's easily walkable. Again, either before for lunch, or after, for a late afternoon aperitivo.