Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

how to find ski resort buses from zurich airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone know about a website for this info?

or do you have a nice suggestion for gasthaus type accomodations (hopefully under 100 euros/double) accessible without car to ski anywhere reachable from zurich airport?

thank you.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 11:48 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know about buses, but you can easily reach Engelberg via train, which only takes about 90 minutes (if memory serves). The Swiss rail system is wonderful and you can get just about anywhere in Switzerland via train.

Here's the site for the Engelberg tourist office:

http://www.engelberg.ch/

Here are some sites for skiing within Switzerland:

http://www.goski.com/1switz.htm
www.skiswitzerland.com/

BTW - Switzerland uses the Swiss franc
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 11:51 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Forgot to mention that the Hotel Belmont in Engelberg (three star) is within the budget you've mentioned. We stayed there in December and really liked it.

Hotel Sonnewendhof is another possibility - also very nice.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 01:34 AM

I live in Zurich. For the most part, you first need to take a train to the nearest train station in the ski are, and then possibly a bus if the particular area you are interested in does not have a train station (i.e. Saas Fee). Buses in Switzerland are either feeder buses leading to trains or trams, or local Post Buses which ply a route in the countryside. There are not any long-distance public buses. However, the trains will take you to many, many ski areas, you may not need to take a bus at all.

From Zurich, the closest ski area is Flumserberg, about an hour by train, plus a short bus ride. However, it is not the largest or nicest ski area. If you go 3-4 hours out, you will get to larger and better ski areas like Arosa/Chur, Davos, Klosters, St Mortiz, the Interlaken/Jungfrau area, Verbier, Zermatt, Saas Fe. The list is rather endless. What is your skiing ability, what month are you going, do you want any activities like shopping or just outdoor activities like skiing and cross country?

For a start, take a look at myswitzerland.com. Also look at the Swiss Rail website at rail.ch for train schedules, it will also show if you need to take a bus to reach your final destination.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 04:57 AM

try luch.ar for information for the Alberg area. You could take the train from the airport. Or the Arlberg Express runs buses to and from the airport to Lech, St Anton and Zurs.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 12:39 PM

There are also busses to the skiresorts. They leave near the trainstation and take you directly to the lifts, so you don't have to change trains. eg. http://www.froehlich-reisen.ch/
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the info. saw a great airfare from valencia to zurich and was trying to tempt the family for a weekend, but probably wouldn't get in as much skiing as we had hoped for such few days.

will keep all this so i can arrange a longer trip.

thanks everyone. i did not have much luck trying to find cozy gemutlich gasthauses... will check out the two hotels mentioned.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 04:08 AM

Hi lincasanova,

Are you looking for a cozy gasthaus in Zurich or anywhere in Switzerland??? Of course there are hundreds (thousands??) throughout Switzerland.

If you're looking for something cozy in Zurich, I recommend you go to the suburbs. I've stayed at the Hirschen am See in Obermeilen (www.hirschen-meilen.ch), about 15 minutes by train and bus from Zurich. It's a great little gasthaus with a terrific restaurant -- right on the lake. I had a lakeview room with sweet pine furniture.

Another, better but more remote, spot is the Hotel Alpenblick in Uetikon, in the hills above Lake Zurich. It's very hard to get there without a car, involving a train, a bus, and then a walk -- or a train and then a $20 taxi ride. It's just absolutely charming though! Website at www.landhotelalpenblick.com.

If you're looking for someplace cozy elsewhere in Switzerland, I suggest you check out, maybe, the Hotel Bon Accueil in the town of Chateau d'Oex or the town of Kandersteg or maybe the Hotel Alpenrose in Wengen.

s
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

yes.. yes .. yes. these are the type special places i like.. and if i can combine this with SKIING a couple days, but with NO CAR, i would be terribly happy and impressed with responses.

i have found places similar in other ski areas in france on the web, but have not had luck with any of the swiss sites i pulled up.

i will keep your suggestions and hope even a few more come in .. with restaurant recs too!! ( now i am getting greedy!)

thanks!
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:02 AM

What about Meiringen-Hasliberg? A smaller resort which kept more charm than others in the Bernese Oberland. See www.alpenregion.ch and click on "English" for more information.

Haven't stayed there personally, but I think the Gasthof Weber is a good choice for you (cheap!). Located in Hasliberg, (a small village above the valley) near the gondolas, where you have direct access to the skiing area. Do a search for acc. on the above website.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:10 AM

Hi,

Here ya go! In Wengen, a car-less village, the 3-star Alpenrose (www.alpenrose.ch) may be over your price preference, but give it a try; you may get a good rate if you contact them by e-mail. Also look at the two-star Hotel Baeren (www.wengen.com/ho_baer_fl.html) or just hunt around the website www.wengen.ch. Note, too, that Switzerland uses Swiss Francs (chf), not the Euro. Wengen is just over three hours from the Zurich airport.

Also recommend you look around the Engelburg website (www.engelberg) as Melinq8 suggests. There are some nice looking hotels there, and it's much closer to Zurich airport.

Best of luck!

s