Kings Day in Amsterdam, local travel?

Old Feb 5th, 2016, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kings Day in Amsterdam, local travel?

I will be in Amsterdam in late April. I learned that our departure date, April 27, is Kings Day, and many of the trams, buses and trains are not running, or if running are rerouted.

We plan to leave in the morning, from Noorderstraat 74, 1017 TW, and need to get to a train to Brugges. (We thought we would take a Thalys train from Amsterdam Central train station to Antwerp, then transfer to local train to Brugges. Thalys appears not to be running at all, and the best I can find so far is four local trains, starting at Central and changing trains three times. But I'm not even sure we can get to Central from the location of our inn, and if so, what route to take.)

Any thoughts on best way to get out of the city that morning would be hugely helpful.
Old Feb 5th, 2016, 12:56 PM

I see Thalys for the 27th when I look at NSinternational.nl.

If you go to www.GVB.nl you can see what buses, trams ad metro are running that day, and the routes.
Alternatively try 9292.nl to plan from your address to the station. Or alternatively look at getting out to Schiphol and picking Thalys up there.
Old Feb 5th, 2016, 11:57 PM

Get to Brugge a day early, on the 26th? And hetismij's suggestion is very sane: get on a train to Antwerp from Schiphol.

In the morning, the major flow will be into the city, which in a way is good news for you, because outbound traffic will be relatively unaffected.

The entire centre of the city will be blocked, already on the night before. In Noorderstraat you'll be at ground zero for the festivities. What you can do is walk to the Stadhouderskade/Westeinde tramstop and take the #4 to RAI and take a local train into Schiphol from there. What you'll notice is that outside the canal ring the city is almost deserted.

https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Wes...52808013?hl=en

Google translate this page

http://www.gvb.nl/reizen/tram-bus-me...gsdag-27-april

in order to know where trams are diverted.
Old Feb 6th, 2016, 05:14 AM

<i> Kings Day in Amsterdam, local travel?
Posted by: Nancygoes on Feb 5, 16 at 4:35pm</i>
If you can keep your hotel room stay another day to celebrate King's Day. It is probably the greatest party on the planet. See http://www.enjoy-europe.com/travelog/QueensDay2008.htm.
Old Feb 7th, 2016, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your really helpful suggestions. I will check them all out.