Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to experience the Champagne region during a 12 days trip to París.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2015, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are heading to Paris to celebrate our second wedding anniversary. We already booked our lodging and our air tickets. Our planning is beginning to take form and we want suggestions on a day trip to the Champagne region. A colleague has suggested to take the RTR from East Paris to Epernay. However, we want to spent a really nice day and have the opportunity to visit more than 2 caves.

Any suggestions for a couple experiencing France for the first time?cham
Old Mar 2nd, 2015, 06:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having been to the region a number of times by car, for me it's the best way of exploring the area. We've stayed in Reims or near Epernay and just pottered round. However, if you don't want to drive, try this:

http://www.viator.com/Champagne/d813...FU_MtAodi1wAkA
Old Mar 2nd, 2015, 06:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
or:

http://www.parischampagnetour.com/in...mid=31&lang=en
Old Mar 2nd, 2015, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We'v done day trips by train a couple of times. We took the train to Reims, and have visited Veuve Clicquot, Pommery and Ruinart (not all in the same trip)

We did combine Veuve Clicquot before lunch and a stop at Pommery after lunch. We had lunch at Les Crayeres which was within walking distance of the two caves. At Pommery we did not take the tour, just tasted.

We finished the day with a visit to the cathedral then took the train back to Paris.
Old Mar 2nd, 2015, 08:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Epernay or Reims would allow you to taste in more than two caves. I prefer Epernay as the place is very walkable and the Avenue (one of the finest sights in Europe) is a pleasant stroll with TI at the top (who offer timetables etc).

Reims is a bit more spreadout with some fancier buildings and of course they also have a Cathedral and a Forum. I wrote this a few years back and it is mainly still true
http://www.mybikeguide.co.uk/Champagne_Cellars.php

For lunch in Epernay I'd recommend anywhere on the main roundabout (just down from TI) that takes your fancy, nothing is very posh, but everything is very French. I've eaten in other Epernay areas and really the roundabout is pretty basic but good.