Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to Efficiently search the forum for restaurant recommendations in Nice, France

Search

How to Efficiently search the forum for restaurant recommendations in Nice, France

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Searching "Nice restaurant" doesn't work well for clear reasons, and even adding France in as a search term only helps to narrow the focus of the search to all of France, for the most part.

Anyone have any ideas how I can make this search a lot more effective? I'm new here, so I might be pathetic at searching for certain things, but I always try, and this is the first time I've had some trouble...

Thanks for the advice
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:21 AM

Before I even think about using this forum for a restaurant question, I look at both Fodor and Frommer online. They will have listings that will help you narrow down your searches.

You can google a search. Try www.google.fr to get more hits.

These tools will give you more of an idea of what is available to choose from. It's usually what I do.
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Try pasting this in the search blank: <b>restaurants &quot;in nice&quot;</b>.

Also try <b>restaurant &quot;in nice&quot;</b>.
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:46 AM

I topped a couple of Nice restaurant thread for you.
Searching &quot;restaurants in Nice&quot; didn't really help, but I remembered the name of a specific restaurant (L'Ecurie) that had been recommended to me and by searching for that, a couple of Nice restaurant threads came up.
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:51 AM

I am going to Nice in about 8 months so I wuold love some ideas too!!
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:52 AM

We're big time foodies, and we vacation in France about 9 weeks each year - that's 40 restaurant meals a year. We've dined in Nice about 20 or so times.

Some of the worst meals I've ever had were in Nice. You can probably spend a lot of money and have a great meal - but that's not what I want to do there. We like to dine in Old Town on the Cours Saleya or close by so we can dine outside, soak up the ambience, &amp; people watch. We've pretty much resigned ourselves to enjoying the atmosphere of Nice &amp; forget about having memorable food.

Safari on the Cours is OK, as is Diva near the theater - if you dine upstairs (which is not outside). One of my most forgettable meals was at the restaurant affiliated with the famous Alazari olive oil store.

Stu Dudley
Old May 6th, 2007, 08:15 AM

The reason <b>&quot;restaurants in nice&quot;</b> doesn't work very well is because the quotation marks force the search engine to look for the exact string they contain.

By searching for <b>restaurant &quot;in nice&quot;</b>, you are telling it to look for threads that contain the word &quot;restaurant&quot; AND the string &quot;in nice&quot; - a very different animal.
Old May 6th, 2007, 08:18 AM

I go to Nice pretty often. Three I'd highly recommend:

Le Safari for seafood in Old Nice

L'Indyiana a relatively new restaurant with beautiful food presentations and great food in a converted warehouse in back of old Nice

and, finally, my very favorite for a special occasion dinner because you have to take a cab and it's expensive!

Le Chaumiere 3 rue d'Observatoire, about six miles east of Nice - lovely Provencal food, some of which is cooked to order ( meats, chicken) in the main dining room's fireplace. Unbelievable appetizers and vegetables from the restaurant's own garden, as well as delicious desserts. A real treat~! If you're planning on going in the summer months though, you have to book ahead and reconfirm when you get to Nice. If you're interested, I will try to post the phone number.
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:14 AM

Actually, Robespierre, I searched both ways.
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:18 AM

For example, by searching restaurant &quot;in nice&quot; the first several hits included: dress code for German hotel restaurants, Nice airport logistics, Hotel in Nice with free beach access, Teen-age boy in Paris, etc.
By putting in the name of a Nice restaurant I just happened to remember, I got more relevant hits.
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:50 AM

Yeah. Nice for you.

So your answer to &quot;how can I make this search a lot more effective?&quot; is to know the name of a restaurant in Nice.
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:52 AM

For the OP, no. For me, yes. And then I can pass on that info to the OP.
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Okay, that's my full quota of being patronized for today.
Old May 6th, 2007, 12:30 PM

One method is to use the &quot;find&quot; function -- <b>control f</b> -- and then choose the <u>Match case</u> option. Capitalizing &quot;Nice&quot; will ignore all the references to &quot;nice.&quot;
Old May 6th, 2007, 12:55 PM

For anyone who's interested, I've found the contact info for LA CHAUMIERE, which is: LA CHAUMIERE, 384 Boulevard de l'Observatoire, 06300, Nice. If you want a reservation there, I'd fax them as far ahead as possible, since it's a very popular restaurant in the summer months. The fax number is: 33 04 93 76 93 88. The phone number is: 33 04 93 01 77 68.

This is one of our very favorite restaurants in Nice and environs, but as I posted earlier, it's expensive. When we last dined there about a year ago, it was almost $500 for the 4 of us, but it was well worth it. The food, wine, and service, were exceptional.