how to dress properly in europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my husband and i will be spending a few days in paris the beginning of may and then 7 days on the amalfi coast. is it ok to wear shorts? (will it be warm enough then?)thanks!
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:48 AM

..shorts in Paris-no. This question is easy to answer. How would you dress in NYC or Boston?,,,dress the same in Paris....re the Amalfi Coast...How would you dress in Palm Beach?...anwswer these questions and you will probably be dressed appropriately.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:52 AM

It will most likely be too cool to wear shorts in Amalfi in early May. If you get a very warm day you may want them, but locals won't be wearing them in any event. Take a look at weatherbase.com and worldclimate.com Wear layers and bring an umbrella. Plus side is that the spring flowers, including the fabulous wysteria will be out.

Shorts in churches are frowned upon by locals, although it is unlikely you would be denied entrance to any church other than St Peters in Rome.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:54 AM

in reality, it will be too chilly in paris to wear shorts in early may (more than likely). but if you want, there's nothing stopping you. in NYC or Boston, there are people that wear shorts even if the weather is border line chilly. dress the way you want. you are on holiday and should not even have a care in the world.

i dress in my cargos and running shoes, and what's funny is that in rome and paris (been to paris twice) i have been confused for a native. i have people come up to me for directions. i have even had a frenchman come up to me to ask me for directions.

there is no proper. you'll see that truely they are regular people just like the ones that live in NYC, Boston, or Palm Beach. some people think dress fancy, some casual, and some 'hey this is what i wear so deal with it'. good luck. take an umbrella to paris though.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:57 AM

Paris...no shorts
Amalfi area...shorts in the day

Warm enough..how old are you?
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:58 AM

..."sun" ..my point exactly..dress the way you would at home!
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:59 AM

I must admit that when the weather is warm and I'm out walking I like to wear shorts -- so much more comfortable. While in Italy a couple years ago I ended up buying a pair of those Columbia pants with the zip-off legs. I have ended up loving them. I've even worn them in Paris. No, I'm too self-conscious about being out on the streets in shorts, so leave the legs on, but when we spent a couple hours walking the Promenade of Plantes, I took them off and was much more comfortable. Meanwhile we were surrounded by local joggers who were wearing running shorts. Those pants are also great for hiking -- starting in the morning when cool, then zip off the legs when it gets hot.
Cargo style pants are so "in" now, I could care less that the pants look like the legs zip off. Many others look the same way too with their many seams.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 07:03 AM

Several designers have featured shorts in their S/S '05 collections. Dries Van Noten showed a selection of oversized (knee length) tartan-esque checked affairs which fasted with a bow; very versatile as they can be dressed up or down. Miu Miu showed shorts with ties/shirt/jackets for a smart, more formal look. Marc Jacobs (whose menswear is far too "church boy&quot also showed some shorts accessorised with the usual polo/casual summer shirts.

This just goes to show that shorts are very much in vogue if you have the legs for them.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 07:10 AM

"This just goes to show that shorts are very much in vogue if you have the legs for them"

Exactly! When I am world dictator, I'm going to introduce the "rule of thirty" for shorts and other revealing garments. I shall only allow them to be worn by those under thirty and with a waistline to match.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 07:15 AM

We will be on the Amalfi from May 14-20. I plan on bringing shorts (mid-thigh length) and a couple of pairs of pants, as well as a knee-length skirt. I always throw in a "little black dress" for dressier dinners and a nice cardigan or bolero jacket to go with it. If you roll your clothes they tend to take up less room in youe luggage

I do hope it will be warm enough for at least a day or two to lay on the beach and swim. Looks like the average high temperatures are in the 70s.

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 07:17 AM

After reading MissPrism's post I feel compelled to add that I am only 25 so don't howl about the mid-thigh length shorts please!
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Ms Prism - so that means a 30 inch waist?
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 09:48 AM
ira

Hi ct,

We were in Paris the first week of May, 2004.

It was much too chilly for shorts. Our last day was very cold and rainy.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 09:49 AM

Curt, I think it's 30 inch waist if you're a man. And 26 for a woman.

p.s. Miss Prism and Texas Aggie--I'm 35...but I'm a runner and dancer. Do you think I could wear shorts? How about gauchos?
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 10:02 AM

I think it depends on your bod as much as your age. I have seen many out of shape girls who should not be wearing shorts or low rise jeans. If you are in your 30's and fit you will be fine. It also depends on where you are, in a city or at a beach. On Amalfi coast you should wear thigh length shorts in the daytime if you are easy on the eyes.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Sorry, I just want to fend off potential flaming by saying, for the record I was kidding about the age thing and shorts (and of course the gauchos).

Where whatever you want. But shorts in Paris in May sounds pretty chilly to me.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 10:16 AM

whoops . meant "wear" whatever your want "wherever."

and have a great time in Paris and on the AC.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 10:30 AM

MissPrism, how old are you? With the ongoing fashion for fitness, many men and women in their 30's and 40's look just as good in shorts as those under 30.

On the other hand, I saw a high school girl yesterday wearing low rise jeans and a tight, midriff-baring T-shirt, and she was at least 25 pounds overweight. Talk about a fashion victim!

So I'm afraid if aesthetics is your goal you will have to use some other standard than age. I remember when you couldn't trust anyone over 30 -- how times change...
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 10:38 AM

Leely,
I wasn't propogating any age limit at all myself if you read my post. If you look good in shorts and feel comfortable wearing them, then wear them. That's how I make my wardrobe decisions when the setting doesn't dictate them.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 10:41 AM

I'm a runner too Leely. Unfortunately, we are slated to get snow here in Denver this weekend so it will be back to the indoor track for me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -