Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > How to dress for Prague Opera & Krakow cultural events

How to dress for Prague Opera & Krakow cultural events

Aug 27th, 2003, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

How to dress for Prague Opera & Krakow cultural events

Hello,
We are leaving for Prague and Krakow on Oct. 23. We hope to see an opera in Prague and some kind of performance in Krakow (concert, ballet, etc.) What do the men wear to these events? Typically, what do women wear to the opera, ballet, etc.? Is it necessary to purchase tickets in advance or would we be safe waiting until we get there?
Thanks!
Aug 27th, 2003, 11:34 PM

In central Europe middle aged men wear suits and women something fairly formal for opera, ballet, and classical concerts. I go in a tweed sports jacket with tie and attract no strange glances. The young may well be in jeans, and they are made very welcome: they are our guarantee that these good things will live on. Krakow cultural events include jazz, where suits would look a bit odd, and glorious klezmer, where you come as you are.

Welcome to the wealth of Europe

[email protected]
Aug 28th, 2003, 08:16 AM

We attended an opera at the Noradni Divaldo in Prague in May. My husband wore a suit and I wore an ankle length skirt and sweater type top. It seemed to me that most were dressed in their "Sunday Best," but as noted by Mr. Haines there were some in much less dressy clothes. We were more comfortable the way we were dressed, so I suppose what matters is how you feel about what you wear.

Music is available everywhere in Prague, even some of the musicians on the Charles Bridge are quite talented. The theaters/opera houses, etc. are very beautiful and we enjoyed seeing them almost as much as the music.
Aug 28th, 2003, 10:20 AM

We were just in Krakow a couple of weeks ago. We attended a performance of Mozart's Coronation Mass and BAch's Magnificat in D as a part of Krakow's summer music festival which features performances in various historical venues around the city. We hadn't bothered to change and were underdressed--my husband was wearing trousers with sandals and I had a casual skirt and top on. But, we also didn't feel terribly out of place because there were also some other casualy dressed people. However, I should also tell you that this performance was held in one of Krakow's beautiful historic churches. Seating was general admission (unbelievably cheap at $5 a ticket for Krakow's best chorale group, 5 soloists, and an orchestra)so we got there a half an hour before the performance was to begin. We were about 100th in line and they had way oversold tickets. Many people did not have seats and were standing or were seated in the side naves which had no sightlines whatsoever. We even saw a couple people arrive with folding chairs so they msu know about the situation. I wouldn't have been too thrilled to spend the performance standing in my Sunday best.

One more note on Krakow, we were there several years ago the 1st week-end in October. I have never been so cold and miserable in my life (and I'm from Minnesota) it was raining and must have been close to freezing. Take rainwear, gloves, sweaters and hats.
Aug 28th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Hello,
Thanks to everyone who replied. Your responses are very helpful, as usual. I love the detailed information everyone gives. I was thinking of possibly bringing an ankle-length skirt with a nice top, or a pantsuit. Do the women in Prague and Poland wear pantsuits to musical concerts? I didn't see that mentioned in the responses.

My daughter arrived in Prague Wednesday morning for her 4-month study abroad stay. She just called us to say "Prague is beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!" I can't wait to go.

Julie: I will make note of what you said about the weather. I am planning on bringing a fall jacket that has a removable lininig, several sweaters, long sleeve tops, and umbrella. After your experience in Krakow, I will also bring a hat and gloves. Maybe thermal underwear, too! Thanks!

Search this Thread