How to dress for Italy in May

Mar 5th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Kathi

How to dress for Italy in May

I know this has been addressed here before, but I still don't want to look too out of place. Is Italy still somewhat conservative? Basic black? Shirts and pants, no shorts? I've never been to Italy. Please help!

Mar 5th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Suzanne

We are planning a trip to Italy as well. My friends who have been before assure me that it is casual dress and above all comfortable walking shoes. I plan to bring wrinkle free travel skirts and shirts and a couple of pair of pants. My seamstress who is from Italy was excited to see that I had a sweat pant outfit , she said everyone wears these after dinner when they walk. Will be happy to hear from others as well. Thanks.

Mar 5th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Dayle

Suzanne, when I was in Italy I never saw anyone wearing sweat pant outfits! I would never dream of packing one.

Mar 5th, 2002, 07:27 PM
elvira

A lot of churches don't allow shorts or bare shoulders, so it makes sense to wear short/long sleeved tops and either skirts or long pants when sightseeing - it would be a shame to come upon a beautiful church and not be allowed in.

If you're visiting coastal towns, like the Amalfi Coast or Cinque Terre, and the weather is warm, shorts would be fine.

I'm a fan of darker colors when traveling in cities - at home, I can toss the grimey clothes into the hamper and get something else out of the closet, but on a trip, with just one suitcase, I don't have that luxury. Darker clothes hide the city grime, especially pants and skirts. Light tops brighten up the wardrobe and keep you cooler in warm weather. Simple styles are easier to pack and mix 'n' match.

Mar 5th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Suzanne

Dayle,
Thanks so much. I was a little hesitant to bring it, now I certainly won't!! I should have said that Dina stays in the residential part when she goes "home" and admitted she never stays in the hotels. By the way what hotel have you found to be the best? Looking for value as well as cleanliness and a shower and toilet in the room. Thanks again, Suzanne