Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How to do Istanbul and Epheses from Cruise Ship? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-to-do-istanbul-and-epheses-from-cruise-ship-564047/)

jeepsterchick Oct 12th, 2005 09:08 AM

How to do Istanbul and Epheses from Cruise Ship?

We are arriving via Cruise ship to both of those ports. I'm in debate on hiring a guide or not, seems Istanbul could be done on your own, what about Epheses from Kusadasi? I'm assuming there will be taxi's? Can I get a day guide when we arrive without pre-arranging at either port?
Thank you!!! Any advice would help!

P_M Oct 12th, 2005 09:43 AM

I was on a cruise about 5 years ago that stopped at Kusadasi. We did a tour w/the ship, but other people just hired a cabbie and went on their own. No problem, the cabbies know when the ships will be in port.

Ceci Oct 12th, 2005 10:30 AM

You'll find experts in cruises, excursions from ports and guides on:

www.cruisecritic.com

Click on boards at the bottom of the page, and then select the Europe board.

Good luck!

jeepsterchick Oct 12th, 2005 11:31 AM

Actually, I have "lived" on that board for all the research I've done, but I'm having a hard time finding much on Epheses & Istanbul "on your own"
Thanks!

propertravel Oct 12th, 2005 12:03 PM

Cruise ships offers tours, alternatively you can pre arrange a private tour with own guide and transport if you like, taxis are plenty, guides available at Ephesus gate but pre arranged guide could be also a more sophisticated one depending on your search. You could share this trip with another person or couple.

In istanbul you could explore the city on your own but if time is limited a guide could add more value to the day trip and get more inner information and stories of places of interest and someone takes care for you the way you tailor the trip.

Happy Travelling,

Murat

spartanap Dec 8th, 2005 11:22 AM

We used a guide through ephesustours.biz this past June. It was much cheaper than the cruise's tour and we didn't have to share our excellent guide with 40 other people. We made arrangements before we left and everything worked out well.

cybor Dec 8th, 2005 01:10 PM

We didn't use a guide in Istanbul but we had the luxury of being there longer than you. It's quite easy to tool around with a guide book at a leisurely pace. We had a prearranged van take us to Ephisus. Once we arrived, we found a nice retired Turkish historian who spoke perfect English inside the gate. He gave us a nice overview and then asked, as it was just my Dh and I, what we were most interested in. I'm sorry I can't remember what we payed but I do recall that his fee was very reasonable and totally worth it, as the history is very complicated.
You'll be amazed at how wonderful both places are.
Sherry

billygm Dec 15th, 2005 03:01 AM

Ephesus is a spectulare site in Eagean Cost and there ara much more detail. it is 17 km far from Kusadasi port and if you arrange a private tour it is better then arrange a taxi and guide in the Ephesus Because you will have limited time either Istanbul Port or Kusadasi Port. Thare are many companies who arrange Ephesus and Istanbul Tours and you may see all the details & programmes. Then you may decide what you will do according to the optionals.

Grcxx3 Jan 14th, 2006 12:52 AM

cybor -

I'm curious about the van ride from Istanbul to Ephesus. How long was the drive? Where did you spend the night?

ekscrunchy Jan 14th, 2006 05:28 AM

I will answer this last question: You can drive in about 6/7 hours from Ephesus to Istanbul; the time would include the ferry ride from Bandirma to Istanbul. I did this a few months ago with a driver. The roads are excellent all the way.