Reload this Page >

how to choose between Loire chateaux???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 08:07 PM
mary

My husband and I are planning a visit to the Loire valley and I am overwhelmed at the choice of places to stay! I read some raves on this site about LA ROSERAIE in Chenonceau, but we're also looking at the CHATEAU BEAULIEU in Saumur and the CHATEAU NOIZAY in Tours. We will be staying 3 nites. I know the Noizay is the most expensive but with the dollar so strong, it's tempting. Has anyone stayed at any of these? We will have a car so location is not a big factor as long as we are somewhat centrally located to see a few chateaux and visit some wineries. Thanks!!

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 12:58 AM
Mika

http://www.le-choiseul.com/choiseul-gb.htm <BR> <BR>http://www.prieure.com/prieure-gb.htm <BR> <BR>have a look at these....

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Diana

take a look at www.hotels-france.com. I have just booked the giraudiere manoir for November and I can't wait. Good Luck!

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 11:48 AM
Robin

I wish I knew-- someone must have been there!

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 11:29 PM
Jane

Hi Mary! <BR>We will be staying at the Chateau de Noizay in September. It was a decision between Noizay, Beaulieau, and Chateau de la Bourdaisiere in Montlouis. <BR> <BR>I don't my reply doesn't help much because I know as much as you do! Nevertheless, if you are worried about the cost - we booke dours through www.francevacations.net They have great Chateau stay deals - car included! (Again, i have yet to give a real opinion on france vacations.net) <BR> <BR>I found a lot of helpful reviews through www.france.com <BR> <BR>The overall opinion seems to be that the only negative reviews seem to be that some people did not get a room in the Main House/chateau. <BR> <BR>Beaulieau seemed more intimate/smaller. <BR>More information of Beaulieau can be found at www.chateauxandcountry.com/ <BR> <BR>The advantage of Noizay is that they have a restaurant on site. But you should make reservations before arriving. <BR> <BR>In the end, we choose Noizay. <BR> <BR>Good luck!

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 06:57 AM
Mr. Go

Diana...FYI, my wife and I stayed at the Giraudiere 2 years ago. I was fairly pleased, overall. Just don't try to find the place at night when you first arrive; it's out in the country! It's a comfy place, and the proprietor speaks English very well. Decent restaurant, too.<BR><BR>A tip: you can book bike rentals at the desk and they will be delivered rapidement. Biking around the vineyards, wineries, tiny viallges, etc. in that area is a must!

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 05:42 PM
Anna

We stayed at La Roseraie last September. It was great, the rooms are nice, the owners are friendly, and their restaurant is excellent. I highly recommend it, an excellent value for the money. The Chateau Chenonceaux is within walking distance too. We made easy reservations via email.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 11:04 PM
Jane

Just got back from our trip to France and our stay at the Chateau de Noizay. I have nothing but good things to say about the Chateau. Very helpful and accomadating staff. Delicious food. We didn't have a problem making reservations (It was mid-September). We had a beautiful view. The small Noizay Village is very charming. You are just a few minutes away from Amboise and Chenoceau. Absolutely beautiful. We'd stay again. <BR> <BR>The village of Vouvray is the next town over - fantastic wine. <BR> <BR>Unfortunately - I'd like to take back my recommendation for francevacations. DON"T USE THEM. Despite the great deals - it's not worth it. They have horrible customer service. They didn't even book our room (we booked in May). I would never had known if I hadn't contacted the Chateau to confirm. Thankfully the Chateau (although already booked for the Standard rooms) found a way to accomadate us. Upgrading to a Superior double is well worth it.

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 06:51 AM
curt

I would also suggest that you look at a place in Amboise, the Manior le Minimes...wonderful old home right at foot of chateau. Impressive rooms, good breakfast service, enclosed parking. Highly recommend it.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 11:21 AM
John H

Mary, <BR> <BR>I would second the recommendation on Le Manoir Les Minimes. Six of us stayed in 3 rooms there last September and really enjoyed it. Upgrade to the deluxe room, if available -- extra nice and large, with views of the chateau and the Loire river. The breakfast and common rooms were also very nice. If you smoke, there are little tables and chairs outside in front of the chateau (no smoking is allowed in the rooms). And, this lodging is a 5-minute walk to the town of Amboise, a great base from which to operate in theLoire Valley, and a charming town. <BR> <BR>Web site: <BR>http://www.amboise.com/les-minimes/ <BR> <BR>Happy travels. <BR> <BR>John H. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 06:35 PM
Diane

I also recommend staying in or near Amboise.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 06:53 PM
mimi

Mary, <BR>My husband and I stayed at La Roserai two summers ago. We loved it but it is very much an Inn rather than a chateau.The management (Laurentz) was wonderful and their small resturant served simple but good meals.It is right next to Chenonceau but there is NOTHING else in the town.The drive to Amboise and other areas was long but beautiful. Tours was a very interesting area as was Amboise with a lot more to do.With only three days I think I would pick Tours.Even after saying all that-I would probably go to La Roserai again!Sorry for my two-sided answer. It is a tough but delightful desicion.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 10:45 AM
Linds

Mary- <BR>Just got back from 4 days at Chateau Noizay and it was wonderful. Beautiful setting, great restaurant, and great location. I would strongly suggest it.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 02:40 PM
David Abdullah

I have stayed at Chateau des Reaux near Chenonceau (Bourgueil,France) and the hosts were obnoxious. If you get near Farges-Allchamps,France stay at Chateau de la Commanderie. Wonderful hosts and nearby restaurant they recommend with the best foie gras you ever had.