how to carry money

Old Sep 16th, 1998, 12:10 PM
Amita

how to carry money

This is such a basic question I can't believe I'm asking it but...here goes.

In a couple of days I'm leaving for Ireland. I haven't been abroad in 5 years. I was going to take a fanny pack with me, but now I'm worrying that that looks too touristy. I've done it before and carried it like a shoulder bag. I just want to keep my hands free for the light hiking I'm going to be doing. I've heard a lot about money belts but I have to admit I don't understand the concept...do you have to reach down your pants to get the money out? I'm going to be staying in B&Bs so security shouldn't be much of a problem. We'll be spending most of our time in the country. The only city we're going to hit is Galway. I'm also taking a neck pouch for my passport to wear under my shirt.

Or should I just carry a pocketbook like my mother is doing?

Thanks in advance. When I was traveling as a student I didn't think twice about this...

Old Sep 16th, 1998, 12:16 PM
Donna

Hi, Amita: This is a great question and you will receive many different answers. I usually take a very slender purse with a skinny strap, just large enough for the passport, money, my glasses/case, and a lipstick. Eagle River makes one. I wear it over my shirt cross chest, but under my jacket (ladies' suit-type jacket). It is usually hidden by the jacket, I can put my hand on it over the jacket, and I have had good luck with it. I have also used the money belt. Usually take out enough money for the purse before leaving my room, but have had occasion to dig into the belt at the store . . . oh, well. Fanny pack just won't do for me, and a big purse is too much like carrying a suitcase.
Best wishes!

Old Sep 16th, 1998, 06:38 PM
Gene

J.C. Penney's carries good quality money
belts made by Samsonite ($10). It has two pockets, one for passports and one for currency. You wear it around your waist under your sweater or shirt. They also carry traveling steam irons (Samsonite) which folds up neatly, it comes in handy.

Gene

Old Sep 16th, 1998, 07:00 PM
Jen Z

On both my trips to Europe I have been extremely paranoid about my money, keeping all my traveller's cheques on my person almost 24 hours a day (on my travel partner's person for the ten minute shower). Now that I look back I think I was being a bit paranoid. In some places being paranoid is good, like in St. Peter's Square in Rome where the pickpockets prey on tourists. But a small town in England or similarly non-threatening place? Your neck pouch is good for your traveller's cheques, credit cards, etc, as well as your passport. Better yet, take only the cash you need and leave your money belt and its contents in a safety deposit box at your hotel's front desk. Don't let paranoia interfere with your enjoyment of your trip. Be safe and have a great time!!

Old Sep 16th, 1998, 07:27 PM
Phoebe

I've heard real bad things about fanny packs in Europe--especially in Prague right now. Even in Ireland it might be too much of a temptation. I'm on my way to Russia in a few weeks so I am going to be awfully careful.

Good luck!

Old Sep 16th, 1998, 08:58 PM
Marcia

Quick - go backthrough these messages. You may have to go to the archives. But there was a huge long discussion of purses, fanny packs, save the back purses etc. etc. etc. within the month. I got back on 8/16, and it has been since then. The concensus was, no fanny packs, except on a hiking trail. And the further concensus was not to be too paranoid, except where common sense warranted it. Have a good time.

Old Sep 17th, 1998, 06:30 AM
Tony Hughes

Firstly you should carry all your notes in your pocket together in a big, gold money clip and be sure to take it out at all times to annoy the locals. No , seriously there should be NO problem in Ireland ( or anywhere in the UK ). Actually, I felt more apprehensive about my money when i was in the USA. A 'fanny pack' as you call it ( dont say it too loud in Ireland - it means something COMPLETELY different this side of the pond ) is like a shiny coin to a magpie in most of mainland Europe and it will mark you out as a tourist. Pickpockets don't exist in rural Ireland and are very rare in urban places in Ireland. Do not worry, you will have no problems. Enjoy your trip.

Old Sep 17th, 1998, 02:35 PM
Donna

No matter where you are traveling, it is best to keep anything important to you in an under-your-clothing pouch. This has not being paranoid - why take chances?