Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to call a number in the Fodor's guidebook

Jan 5th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Connie

I try calling the phone number listed for a hotel in the Fodor's guidebook but just get a recorded message saying I dialed incorrectly. I'm calling from the U.S. I try dialing a '1' first, and also just the number as written, i.e., 93/301-5900. Neither way works. Do I need to try something different?

Jan 5th, 2002, 04:15 PM
x

You might need to dial 011 first. Dial "O" and ask an operator. Where are you calling?

Jan 5th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Rex

I love solving these mysteries, where people don't really give enough information!

The Hotel Jardi, in Barcelona, which you are trying to reach, will require 011, the international access code, then 34, the country code for Spain, then 93, the city code for Barcelona, then the telephone number 301-5900.

Best wishes,

Rex

Jan 5th, 2002, 04:36 PM
yep

<<I love solving these mysteries, where people don't really give enough information!>>

I have to agree with x. Rex, is it necessary to lace your response with sarcasm?

Jan 5th, 2002, 04:43 PM
jahoulih

I don't think Rex was being sarcastic: If all the information were given, then solving the puzzle wouldn't be much fun.

Jan 5th, 2002, 04:54 PM
xxxx

In defense of Rex, I don't think that he was stating that Connie didn't give enough information, but that the Fodor guidebook should be a bit more specific. Calling international for the first time can be a pain if you are familiar with country codes.

Jan 5th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Jennifer

Hi Connie,

Another way to find out is to look in the front of your telephone book. It will tell you the country code of each country and what exactly you need to dial. It can get confusing; I know!

Jennifer

Jan 5th, 2002, 09:42 PM
mimi taylor

This is an example how it all starts!
rex was being helpful to connie who didn't have enough imformation and he helped her , yet those that don't like his style turn it into something else.
Please stop being unkind when someone is helpful. If rex or anyone else goes on that you don't like skip it, and go on to somthing else. Most of us are here because we want-or-want-to share information to make your trip a happy, easier one.Let's have a better year, we all deserve it in these terrible times.

Jan 5th, 2002, 09:48 PM
MaryC

Hurrah! Well said, Mimi.

Jan 6th, 2002, 09:10 AM

Happy New Year,
Topper.

Jan 7th, 2002, 10:26 AM
traveller

Where do I find the codes to call France? It seems it differs outside Paris?

Jan 7th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Rex

For your bookmarking references, the site http://www.the-acr.com/codes/cntrycd.htm is one of the better, easier to use (well, certainly easier to browse) websites for this info.

But it doesn't explain France, at least not very completely.

For international calls TO France, the country code is 33. Then all calls need to start with a

1 for Paris
2 for north and some west
3 for east and central
4 for central, south and south-east
5 for southwest

Then there will be an eight digit number, usually written as four pairs of two digits.

But some tables and other sources of info will simply add the single digit listed above to the first two digits of the phone number and make it look like that is the "area code". That's because for a given city (or part of a city, for example in Lyon), the first two digits are always the same.

WithIN France, it's a slightly different story. Naturally, you don't dial the international country code (33) - - instead, you must dial a zero in front of the single digit (followed by the eight digit phone number). Thus, always TEN digits withIN France.

It also confuses Americans that typically to get an outside line in a hotel, you must dial "0" (unlike the customary "9" in the US). This gets you an outside line. Then you STILL need the zero for any call within France.

Jan 12th, 2002, 07:28 PM
alice

Believe it or not, I also was trying to call Barcelona from the US, had a difficult time trying to figure it out, AND my daughter lives in Italy.. I always call her with 011-39- etc... NOW, with your answers, I know what to do.. I guess it just takes me longer than most.. Thanks for the info.

Jan 13th, 2002, 09:55 PM
Rex

You're welcome, alice...