Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to buy Xmas gift online for brother in Kent, UK?

Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

He lives near Chilham, I in USA. Anyone familiar with names of nearby stores I could e-mail or call? I'm thinking wine or gourmet food.
Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:25 AM

Harrods deliver throughout the UK. You could also try Fortnum & Mason.
Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:32 AM
dln

My husband's brother lives in the UK; we're in the US, so we've come up with the same problem! Marks and Spencer can help you out. www.marksandspencer.com

I'd hurry if I were you, though. I'm not certain they have last minute delivery the way we do!

Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:37 AM

Or you can use
www.amazon.co.uk
Dec 2nd, 2003, 07:12 AM

Sent a gift to my niece in London from Harrods. The only glitch is that the website would not accept a "foreign" address for billing and a UK delivery address. I solved the problem by emailing at [email protected].
Dec 2nd, 2003, 07:20 AM

Why not just try tesco.com, waitrose.com, or sainsbury.com. All offer more or less same-day delivery (ie the stuff arrives at his house the same day you order it).

Infinitely better value on decent wine than the central London places.
Dec 2nd, 2003, 08:27 AM

I often order gifts for family and friends in the UK, although I'm based in France.

Some of my favourite sites:
www.valvonacrolla.co.uk - famous Italian deli based in Edinburgh that delivers food and wine gifts and hampers throughout the UK.

www.johnlewis.co.uk - major UK department store with excellent online store, they have great food & wine gifts like sherry & tapas, champagne and truffles, red wine and olive oil, madeira and fruit cake, etc.

www.virginwines.com - this is a good online wine store (huge range) if you want to send a case or mixed case of wine

One bricks & mortar/online wine store is Oddbins (www.oddbins.com)

As mentioned above, Marks and Spencer have a good online store too, I ordered a vase of flowers for a friend from this site, and she said it arrived beautifully packaged.

Hope that gives you some ideas!
Dec 2nd, 2003, 09:55 AM

You've gotten terrific suggestions & I think your brother would probably love something from a place like M & S etc. But if you really wanted to track down one of his "local" shops, the website upmystreet.com will help you do that. You pick his area (Kent) & then the town & then shopping etc.
Dec 2nd, 2003, 10:04 AM

How old is your brother and what sort of things does he like?
Dec 2nd, 2003, 10:05 AM

Donald Russell's do terrific meat and fish.

I have catalogues for a few gourmet food places. Please feel free to email me and I'll make some more suggestions. Laithwaites would be where to go for fine wine.

Not to be snobby(much) but M&S, Tesco , Sainsbury and Waitrose are high street here-not gourmet. Harrods and Fortnums you pay as much for the name as the food.

Valvona and Crolla are fantastic. That's the best suggestion fitting the bill so far- they also have a great wine store.
Dec 2nd, 2003, 10:30 AM

Hi tomboy,
There are some geat suggestions here so far.
Flanneruk and I have had our disagreements in the past but this time I agree with him.
Sainsbury,M&S etc even though they are high street stores are the places your everyday Brit will get their christmas food and drinks, the stuff is really great quality and well priced.
Harrods, F&M are very nice but very expensive and the average brit won't be able to afford much from there.
However with that in mind, if its a special gift and your brother is as skint as most people at this time of year, then Harrods/F&M will be quite a welcome and unique luxury.Whatever you decide...can I have some too?
Muck
Dec 2nd, 2003, 10:32 AM

Hi
Why not try www.bettysbypost.co.uk
They do a fabulous range of teas, coffees, cakes etc and their Christmas Puddings win awards every year.
Dec 2nd, 2003, 11:39 AM
Sylvia

If he likes smoked salmon and other gourmet fishy things you could have a look at Loch Fyne at
http://www.loch-fyne.com/

I'd echo the Betty's suggestion too.