Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to buy the Zomertoer summer pass in the Netherlands?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI, I will be traveling to the Netherlands in two weeks and wish to purchase the Zomertoer train pass. So far I have not been able to find out where and how to purchase. Help please. =)
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 07:00 AM

The Zomertoer pass is only valid for one day nowadays - first class for two people anywhere in the Netherlands, starting after 9am, for €45. Not the bargain it once was.

You can buy it at a ticket machine if you have a suitable bank pass or (Amsterdam only I believe)chipped credit card or for 50cents extra at a kiosk.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 03:53 AM

Is there a similar pass available for other times of the year, like in the spring?

Robyn
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 12:42 AM

Hi Robyn - NS do regular promotions like the zomertoer, it varies from year to year though exactly what is on offer. The do often offer a lentetoer, but only announce it in the Spring.

I have some two for one, and 1st class upgrade tickets here which came through the door, which I shall be using if I can.

Some shops (Blokker, Kruidvat) often also offer two for one tickets which you can just buy from them. I'll keep an eye out for such offers and post them on the forum if I see them.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 04:37 AM

Thanks, Barbara, for the info. I would certainly appreciate it if you can let us know if a spring special comes around.

We want to take a day trip to Hoek van Holland to see the Maeslant Storm Surge Barrier. Return tickets from Amsterdam, 2nd class, are Euro 30,20 each, so a similar spring special would be a good deal for us.

http://www.keringhuis.nl

Robyn