Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   how to but Trainitalia tickets on line (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-to-but-trainitalia-tickets-on-line-622301/)

Mariastefnyc Jun 9th, 2006 04:40 PM

how to but Trainitalia tickets on line

hi, I am trying to purchase train tickets on line but the one I want to purchase says "no". Are there some tickets that can not be purchased on line? The 2 that can be purchased have a sybol of a shopping cart. Why can I not purchase the ticket I want?

Mariastefnyc Jun 9th, 2006 04:59 PM

topp

viaggio_sempre Jun 9th, 2006 05:05 PM

butt?

viaggiare Jun 9th, 2006 09:38 PM

Maria,

it could be a typo that fits the frustation with what many expirence, sempre viaggio could a be little more understanding... and maybe even help...
You problebly can't buy on line, as we have, and others here have tried. Get them in Italy ASAP in the station, or in a travel agency there. Buon Viaggio!

greg Jun 10th, 2006 12:29 AM

There are many reasons why you cannot buy tickets online; e.g. trying to buy them too far ahead, buying local train tickets. You would get a better response if you state what kind of train tickets you are trying to buy for when.

ira Jun 10th, 2006 08:07 AM

Hi M,

Precisely what tickets do you want and when do you want to travel?

((I))

Mariastefnyc Jun 10th, 2006 12:12 PM

I am looking for tickets on any train that will get me from Florence to Rome on August 6. I need to catch a 10:30a.m. plane. I know the ticket I want to purchase is not a Euro Star train. I forgot what train it was but it seemed to take about 2hrs and 30 minutes to get to Rome.

J62 Jun 10th, 2006 12:37 PM

Maria,
There is absolutely no need to buy these tickets 2mo beforehand.

The Florence - Rome route is served twice hourly for the 90min journey. Just buy tickets once you arrive in Italy. For that frequency and distance you don't even need to reserve a seat, so a ticket you buy will be good for any train. Just hop on the next train leaving the station.

If you prefer to purchase a seat reservation in addition to a ticket, just do that a day in advance in Florence.

ira Jun 10th, 2006 01:24 PM

Hi M

The two trains that you want are Night Trains that originate somewhere else.

You can't buy the tickets online.

In addition, neither of the trains are going to get you to Rome in time to make your flght. For a 10:30 plane you should be at FCO by 07:30 - 08:00.

I suggest that you be in Rome the night before flying home.

((I))

Robbo929 Jun 10th, 2006 01:38 PM

A bit off subject, but I just read previous post. How early before the flight do we need to be at the airport - I assumed 2 hours was plenty as here in the U.S.

Mariastefnyc Jun 10th, 2006 02:12 PM

ira 7:00 or 8:00 I really dont think that is neccessary. I've done this trip before but was i was in rome. 1 hour before is plenty of time. This time i will be in florence therefore I guess i will buy my ticket when i get to florence. thanks anyway ira

ira Jun 10th, 2006 02:35 PM

Hi Maria,

I assumed that you were flying international.

You are correct. Buy your ticket when you get to Florence.

((I))

ira Jun 10th, 2006 02:37 PM

Hi Robbo929
>How early before the flight do we need to be at the airport - I assumed 2 hours was plenty as here in the U.S.<

We found that 3 hr was too early at FCO, as it took only 30 min to go from arrival to the waiting area.

Others have told us that it took over 2hr on a crowded day.

((I))