Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to book train reservations in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 1998, 07:02 AM
Betsy Thraves

I live in Latvia and want to travel by train from Zurich to Innsbruck to Venice and back from Venice to Zurich. Travel agents here say they can only book trains originating in Germany (just blame it on Post-Soviet culture). How can I get timetables and make reservations between these points? <BR> <BR>Or would it be more economical, easier to rent a car? This will be my first trip to western Europe. <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Jun 29th, 1998, 07:32 AM
Christina

I don't know a lot about this subject, but from having <BR>taken some trains in Western Europe, I wouldn't <BR>worry a lot about making reservations and you <BR>don't really need them. Just go to Zurich and <BR>take it from there, you should be able to buy tickets <BR>at the train station w/o any problem unless you <BR>want some very, very popular run. There are a <BR>few WEB sites with some train schedules that may <BR>help give you an idea, but these sometimes have <BR>errors or are not comprehensive. One US WEBsite <BR>that sells European tickets has a limited train <BR>schedule at www.raileurope.com. <BR>Otherwise, go to www.eurorail.com and I believe <BR>there is a link to the German RR WEB site which <BR>includes train schedules throughout Europe. <BR>

Old Jun 29th, 1998, 03:33 PM
Richard Vicek

Good evening. <BR>We have used the railway ticket office at Kloten Airport in Zurich many times in the past. Upon arrival at Kloten, I go to the office and purchase my tickets/ and or Swiss Pass, if at times our trip will go into Italy, we purchase the necessary tickets for both destination(s) and return to Zurich <BR>and at the same time purchase the seat suppliments, that maybe required. This has worked out well in the past and did not need a travel agent. To determine what trains you want suppliments on used either www.itwg.com/ for Italy and www.sbb.ch.online.htm for Switzerland. <BR>Good surfing. Have a good trip. Richard of Hickory Hills. IL.

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 01:04 PM
s.fowler

The advice you have been given is good. I would only add that for inter-city trains you really *do* need to reserve a seat, particularly in 2nd class. The best trains are labelled EC or IC. In many countries there are travel agencies that can book rail tickets also. In Czech Republic I think it's called Cedok. In Vienna I use the Oestterich [sp.] Mortor Club on Shubert Ring. There is not additional fee as far as I can tell. For schedules the best site is: http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/db.s98/dete...8/query.exe/e? <BR>You will have to enter the German names for cities, i.e. wien for vienna. I have checked schedules for all points in europe including greece and turkey. It indicates connections also and gives detailed timetables for every train. It's a great site! As long as you book your seat the day before you should have no problem.

Old Jul 1st, 1998, 03:57 PM
Linda

Try bahn.hafas.de/english.html It will give you all the info you need. It is German rail, but it is the easiest to do your own research.