Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How soon do you start planning your next trip after coming back from a vacation?

Search

How soon do you start planning your next trip after coming back from a vacation?

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2001, 04:45 AM
Parag

I would like to get some feedback from fellow fodorites on this topic.I just returned from a month long trip to Egypt & Greece.In a week's time I have already started researching Fodors & Lonely Planet for the next destination for a vacation next year or so.I guess I am a travel addict & love the planning stage as much as the vacation itself. <BR> How soon do people start planning a next trip.How frequently do you travel?

Old May 20th, 2001, 05:13 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Parag, it sounds like you have nothing more than a healthy approach toward a satisfying life! My own approach is to keep at least one trip in some stage of the "planning/arranging" stages at all times. Time and money both being limited resources, it is complicated to have more than that in the hopper and it is also important to maintain some flexibility to grab those inevitable, SCREAMING deals when they come up. The end result for us is generally 2-4 purely leisure trips annually, at least one of which is across the pond -- two, if we get lucky, which we often do. I'm thinking that is a modest level of travel by Fodor board standards, but you'll pick up many responses in the next couple of days, so we shall see? But if you were truly addicted, you would have had the tickets to your next trip already in your desk drawer when you landed. No point in signing up for a 12-step program just yet.

Old May 20th, 2001, 08:54 AM
nina

I hate to admit this, but I typically start thinking about my next trip about a 3-7 days before my return on the current trip. So, when I was in Europe last month, about 4 days before my flight back home my mind started wondering..... icks! I did this last summer too.

Old May 20th, 2001, 10:46 AM
michele

Parag, I, like Nina, start thinking about the next trip while on the current one. We generally take one "big" trip a year. <BR> <BR>Michele <BR>PS I love the planning stage, too.

Old May 20th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Maira

I am always thinking two trips ahead. I already got tickets for Rome in Nov; I got them as soon as I came back from Spain in April. Before leaving in Nov., I will be setting up a trip with my Aunt & Uncle to Spain/Portugal in April 2002. Hey, life is too short.....

Old May 20th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Judy

Usually I have 3-4 trips on planning stages all the time(collecting maps, brochures from tourist offices,data from webs,all the guides books from libraries),as soon as I have some time open up,get the best airfare for one of the destinations,then take off with couple weeks,Since I hardly ever make hotel reservations,it works out pretty good. Besides for business, I try to go to Europe 4-5 times a year(each from long weekend to 10 days).

Old May 20th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Linda

I, too, have four trips in planning stages. We get one big trip a year, usually to Europe. This year we're going to Spain. 2002 is Greece, 2003 is Italy, and 2004 is England. We spent about an hour last night discussing England and Scotlant. So, as you can see, we don't "wait" at all. Some of my enjoyment of a trip is the anticipation of it!

Old May 20th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Linda

Sorry, "Scotland", not "Scotlant". My apologies to the Scots in our Fodor's family.

Old May 20th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Judi

I'm among kindred spirits here. Our November Tuscany trip was booked before we left for Spain. Next year is all set - Provence in May and Spain in October. This doesn't keep me from obsessing over all of our destinations. I love to plan also. I must admit, I sometimes drive my husband crazy.......

Old May 20th, 2001, 01:45 PM
joyce

I also have a couple of trips in planning stages. My major trip each year is two weekds in England, and during it I start planning for the next one. I always ask fellow travelers to recommend locations...this is a great icebreaker as almost everyone loves to talk about their travels.

Old May 20th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Rex

September trip well in plans when May trip "popped up" as an opportunity. <BR> <BR>and two more pipe dream trips (maybe even a third) in my head after that - - for the next 9-12 months. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old May 20th, 2001, 03:08 PM
Kimerley

We leave on the 28 May for our 7 week holiday to London, Italy and Paris. I am already looking and plannig for our next trip..a cattle drive in the U.S. Just have to convince my travel partners that it really is a good idea.