How safe is to book a stay in Paris

Old Sep 1st, 2012, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How safe is to book a stay in Paris

Hi everybody! I am trying to make reservations for four nights in Paris. I found an apartment I like, just that the rental staff want me to send a money order to secure the place. However, I do not feel safe doing this because this could mean fraud. I asked the person if they receive Pay pal or Credit cards, and she does not. This makes me a little unsecured. I would like your suggestions on this. Is this very normal in Paris, that you just send a money order to save a spot. The person who is trying to do the booing for me send me the address of the apartment we will be staying as a proof of the agreement. I feel this is not good enough for me to feel safe. What is your input on this? Thanks very much in advance.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 06:00 PM

There are so many apartments to let in Paris. Find another one that will take a different form of payment that will make you comfortable.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 07:13 PM

We only deal with Paris Perfect. You might want to check them out before going any further.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 09:12 PM

Another option would be Airbnb. https://www.airbnb.com/ One advantage with the outfit is that you pay through Airbnb with PayPal. They hold the money until 24 hours after you arrive at the property before releasing the money to the owners' account. If the place does not exist or is not as advertised you have a 24 hour hotline to call to try to adjust the situation. You may be left standing in the street with your suitcase, but you won't be out any money.

With any agency you should never rent a place that does not have lots of glowing recommendations, and also checking with online forums like this one to see if anyone has stayed there.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 12:12 AM

Use Vacation in Paris ! They take paypal or credit cards don;t charge a security deposit.You get key before you leave home, They have local contacts if needed. Your Key deposit is promply returned when you send the key back!
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 06:13 AM

We used Vacation in Paris a few months ago and were very pleased with their service and the apartment. As I remember,
there was a security deposit paid for the apartment but it was
refunded to my credit card after the company received the keys
back from us. The company supplies the renter with a small
manilla envelope with a label. Oddly, the envelope was stapled
shut so that we destroyed it trying to put the keys into it.
Fortunately I had packed one in my suitcase so we weren't inconvenienced.

If you are a U.S. resident it is good to know that prices are quoted in dollars for the apartments. The web site is good but
you have to contact them to find out whether your apt. choice
is available during the week that you want. Good luck!

Pat
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 06:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
gracie - if you're not happy with it, don't do it.

as the others have said, there is load of competition amongst apartment agencies in Paris, so go for one you are comfortable with.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 06:47 AM

We were very pleased with:

http://www.parisbestlodge.com

We stayed in the Notre Dame apartment.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 07:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree. Too many other options. Book one you feel comfortable with the method of payment.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 07:15 AM

For long-term apartment rentals, money orders and wire transfers are MORE the norm than credit card or PayPal. Last year for a fourth-month rental, it scared the heck of of us to have to pay both the first month's rent AND the security deposit (double that month's rent) with a wire transfer.

But getting the type of apartment we wanted in a good location at a decent price required that leap of faith.

For short-term, deposit with money orders are certainly not unheard of, but you should seek other rental options(see the posts above) if you feel uncomfortable with the arrangement.

For short-term, we have used vacationsinparis.com.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 07:21 AM

CORRECTION:
We used <b>Paris Vacation Apartments</b> http://parisvacationapartments.com/

They charge with credit card; you pay 1/2 at time of reservation and 1/2 one month before arrival. These payments are non-refundable unless they are able to re-rent the apartment for your dates.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. I am so sorry it took me a while to get back to you. This Forums are so helpful.I can't believe how helpful it is becoming in planning my trip to Europe. I will make sure to book in a place I feel more comfortable with. Thanks a million to everyone of you. It is making my trip much easier with all these suggestions. Bye