Reload this Page >

How Safe for Ladies to Travel Alone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 07:05 PM
Scooter

My sister-in-law & I will be going to Europe in June & July. How safe will it be for us to visit Venice, Munich, Zurich? Are there any special precautions that we should take? This will be my first trip to Europe & I am a little nervous. <BR> <BR>Thank you.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 09:00 PM
Surlok

The same precautions as any tourist not familiar with the countries, cities and sites you'll be visiting. Keep your passport in a money belt, don't walk through deserted or dark areas at night, don't wear (expensive) jelwelry. <BR> <BR>I'm a single woman, and have traveled extensively on my own. I had my wallet pickpocked in Manhattan, and saw myself in a quite dangerous situation in Miami, whereas three teenagers were approaching clearly intending to assault me. Fortunately, a taxi was passing by, and I got it. <BR> <BR>I never went through something like this in Europe. Zurich seemed to me extremely safe, and so did Venice. Sorry, haven't been to Munich, thus no advise here.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 09:48 PM
Scooter

Thank you for the information. Do you recommend a money belt over the one that you wear around your neck?

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 09:12 AM
elvira

I have traveled in Europe alone, and with a gaggle of girls as well, and have never had any problems (well, not the kind YOU mean). The same intuition and common sense that keeps you safe at home will keep you safe anywhere. You know, like somebody gives you the creeps, so you leave? Or you don't tell a stranger where you live (or which hotel)? <BR> <BR>I don't carry large sums of money at home, I don't carry every credit card with me when I'm at home, I don't carry around my expensive jewelry when I'm home, so why would I do it on a vacation? Take only the ATM and credit cards you'll use on your trip, get only enough money from the ATM for your daily needs, and leave the crown jewels in your safe deposit box (to get them to Europe, then store them in the hotel's safe, or worry about them in the room, just seems an awful lot of stress for a vacation). <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 10:15 AM
sandy

I have traveled almost everyplace in the world and have either gone alone or with another girlfriend (my hubby does not enjoy travel) . . . my best advice is to go, don't get drunk, kept your valuables under your clothes (I use the wallet that hangs from my belt and goes inside my clothes), don't wear jewelry (even fake), and you will have a ball. <BR> <BR>This might be your first trip, but I guarantee it won't be your last! <BR> <BR>You're safer anyplace in the world over the US . . . in tourist places, all you have to worry about is theft, in Texas, we have to worry about being shot by someone with road rage! <BR> <BR>Have a great time! <BR>Sandy

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 02:42 PM
Maira

You really aren't alone, your sis-in-law is with you, right? I guess you meant without male companion? If it is, I see women, specially European females, traveling by themselves by the hoardes during the summer. The cities you mention are relatively safe. Just be cautious if drinking (i.e. Munich). <BR> <BR>CNN just happen to have a good article today on traveling solo. There is some overlapping in the article regarding female travel; http://www.cnn.com/2001/TRAVEL/NEWS/04/30/solo.travel/ <BR> <BR>Be safe! <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 03:56 PM
Cathy

<BR>I have traveled the world alone and have never felt as unsafe as I do in my own country - US. Just do exactly what you would do if you were traveling in the US no add'l precautions necessary unless you make a point to look and act like an obnoxious, loud tourist, which I'm sure you won't.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Lucy

I think the greatest danger will be that you will become addicted to the amazing, beautiful, magical wonder of the world that is EUROPE & once you return will spend every spare moment obsessively reading this site & others to plan your NEXT trip...from personal experience I can tell you there is no cure so give in to it & ENJOY!