How safe are airport lockers?

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How safe are airport lockers?

Hi, everybody!<BR><BR>I'm studying at Cambridge for 5 weeks this summer, and at the end, I'm going to Italy for a relaxing week before heading home. It's beginning to look like I'll need my laptop in Cambridge for note-taking and exams (they're written law exams, and my handwriting is atrocious), as we won't have access to our college computer lab. <BR><BR>My question is this: How safe would it be to stash my laptop in an airport locker in either London or Rome while I take my week's vacation? Would I be nuts to trust that my computer would still be there when I get back? I know that, theoretically, I'd be the only person with a key, but I'm still not sure how prudent putting $1800 worth of computer in one of those things would be. <BR><BR>Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 07:05 PM

I don't think there are lockers anymore in airports overseas..........due to heightened security. I know there are none in London Gatwick anymore, and have heard this seems to be the case in others. I believe there are some &quot;holding rooms&quot;, or something like that, that you could possibly leave your things.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Oh no! In that case, does anyone know how secure these holding rooms are? I could possibly stash my computer at a friend's flat in Cambridge, but a) that would mean coming all the way back to Cambridge to get my computer before flying home, and b) there's a chance my friend will be away when I come back to get the computer. Argh!
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 07:38 PM

You will not find actual lockers in many, if any, airports in Europe. But most have safe &quot;left luggage&quot; facilities. You leave it with an attendant. Would be just as safe as in a locker. <BR><BR>Or you could take your lap top w/ you and leave it in the hotel safe (be sure to ask if the places you are staying have safes - not all do).
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 07:46 PM
ron

The left luggage facilities at all major UK airports and train stations are operated by a company called Excess Baggage, see http://www.excess-baggage.com/airport.asp . I suppose they could be a fly by night outfit that hires employees without doing security checks, but that seems highly unlikely. The few times I have used them, I have had nothing stolen or damaged.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help, guys. I checked out Excess Baggage. I'm guessing, since they must have won a contract to be the only provider of that service in Gatwick and Heathrow, that they're legit. I'll do a search to see if anyone else has used those guys in the past. Thanks again!
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 09:53 AM

If it's at the end of your stay, can't you just ship it home?
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 12:41 PM

Luggage storage (manned &amp; X-rayed) at Rome's FCO Airport has reopened. It's at the far end of Terminal C Arrivals and cost 3.5e/day.<BR> It was closed post 9-11 and was still closed in Mar'02 but was open when I was there in Mar'03.<BR>Regards, Walter
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Oh, thank you, Walter! I was just about to ask if either airport in Rome had such a service.<BR><BR>I'd ship it home, but I'm paranoid about it somehow getting &quot;lost&quot; in transit. Although a buddy just told me he shipped his from London a couple of times without incident. I'll keep that option in mind.