Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How often do you reconfirm your booked airline reservations?

Jun 3rd, 2006, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

If you book your airline reservations well ahead of your travel dates how often to you reconfirm those reservations?

This is both a question and a warning for those who tend to book early. I just reconfirmed our reservations for our August travels. During the process I discovered my husband was now seated 20 rows back from the rest of us. As he is my favorite travel partner this was not good news I was able to get our seats reassigned which I might not have been able to do if I had not reconfirmed so far ahead of our travel times. I previously checked on our reservation two or three months ago.

With all the hype about how full the planes will be this summer reconfirming more often makes good travel sense, right?

How often and when do you confirm your airline reservations to minimize airport surprises? Deborah

Jun 3rd, 2006, 12:15 PM

Every 2 or 3 months.....not so much because of seat assignments (which I will check), but to make sure a flight has not been cancelled and thus we've be shifted to another plane.
I always double check within a week of our departure.
Jun 3rd, 2006, 12:16 PM

PS: Don't assume that the airline will automatically inform you of any changes.
Jun 3rd, 2006, 12:22 PM

Every so often I will go online and check my reservation info just to see if there have been any changes to flight times, seat assignments (I have also had the same problem you did), etc. That way, there won't be any surprises when we arrive at the airport.
Jun 3rd, 2006, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

I had intended to check again on our reservations but hadn't done so until a call today from USAir. They called to tell me about a 10 minute time difference for my return on August 27th!! That got me wondering about all our other travel plans which led to my reconfirming and discovering the change in my husbands seat.

The other thing I discovered is that because we booked before November 1st we can fly under the old weight allowances in economy of 70 lbs rather than the current 50. I am packing lighter these days so I would hope to keep it well under 50 but just in case I do some serious shopping I won't have to pay those excess baggage fees Deborah