Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How much vacation time do you have? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-much-vacation-time-do-you-have-465324/)

Kayb95 Aug 6th, 2004 05:58 PM

How much vacation time do you have?

I know Europeans generally have more time off work than Americans. Just curious on how much vacation time everyone has every year?

I've got 21 vacation days per year. Next year it will go up to 26 since I'll have been with the company for 15 years.

I know people who, for instance, own 6 or more weeks of timeshare. I wonder how they manage to get that much vacation time. :)

nytraveler Aug 6th, 2004 06:12 PM

I get 20 days per year - plus unofficial comp days for weekends worked. Unfortunately I very rarely get to use all of them - so try to tack vacation on the business trips (2/3 to europe every year plus 15 or so in the US/Canada) to at least minimize the actual travel time to get anywhere.

TP Aug 6th, 2004 06:16 PM

I get 15 days/year plus 3 "personal days" and of course sick days. Unless it's one day, I'm too whipped to use my sick days as vacation days so I'm stuck with 3 weeks.

jody Aug 6th, 2004 07:03 PM

365!! Retirement is loverly!!!

SandyBrit Aug 6th, 2004 07:27 PM

Kayb95:

I work in the US and I get 15 days per year.

Sandy

tpatricco Aug 6th, 2004 07:55 PM

I only get a sad 10 vacation / 3 personal / 5 sick days, and have been with my company for 9+ years.

That's what the boss gets too, so can't complain too much, we have many other perks.

lyb Aug 6th, 2004 08:25 PM

I get 10 vacation days & 6 personal days, which I can combine with vacation days. Next year, I get an additional 5 days vacation, yeah!!!!!!

mebanese Aug 6th, 2004 08:29 PM

Well, as they say, a woman's work is never done. As a mom, I don't really get vacation, even on vacation. (This isn't a complaint; I get lots of perks to compensate, believe me.)

My husband gets 15 days. In two years, after 15 years of service to the company, he gets 20 days. More time to travel!

rj007 Aug 6th, 2004 08:38 PM

Some Americans get a lot of time off. I get 35 days a year and 8 sick days. I've very seldom ever use my sick days, instead get paid for them which I put towards a trip to Europe.

lyb Aug 6th, 2004 08:53 PM

Rj007,

35 days!!! Who do you work for? Do they have any openings? :) Actually, at my company, some people do have up to 5 weeks, plus the 6 personal days, but they've been with the company for 30 + years...

rj007 Aug 6th, 2004 09:04 PM

lyb

I work at the San Diego Zoo and unfortunately, they have been doing more cutting than hiring. 35 managers got laid off last year (Very glad I am not in management). We start at 20 days a year and I have been there 20 years so I am getting the maximum. Stress free job in a very nice setting. No complaints.

Ingo Aug 7th, 2004 06:28 AM

I have 32 vacation days plus 2 personal days plus usually 2 or 3 days (e.g. if a national holiday is on a Thursday I use to have the Friday off). Living in Germany (for 7 years in the company).

Gavin Aug 7th, 2004 06:35 AM

I live in Canada and get 25 days per year after 17 years with the same employer. Only got 2 weeks at my first job.

AR Aug 7th, 2004 06:35 AM

I live in the UK and get 32 days annual leave entitlement plus 8 bank (public) holidays.
I'm interested to see people having 5 sick days. Does that mean that you have 5 days per year added to your entitlement regardless if you're sick, or is that your total number of days allowed off on paid sick leave? I have 6 months full pay if I am sick as a statutory entitlement - as do most employed people in the UK (as opposed to self employed). If I go back for just one day then it starts all over again.

mcgeezer Aug 7th, 2004 06:39 AM

21 days

Zeus Aug 7th, 2004 06:43 AM

Kayb95 - You must work for the same people I do. I now have 26 vacation days per year after hitting 15 years of service last year. Is your company a sponsor of Lance Armstrong?

In any case, not only do I get 26 vacation days now, but because management is so inept we are grossly understaffed. I usually have to work my days off. Winters suck big time for me, but as a result I earn comp days that I can add to my vacation. This year I was able to take off from 19 June until 22 July and only used 10 actual vacation days. However, I am one miserable SOB working my butt off trying to earn my days off. I am certainly a person that believes that I work so that I can vacation.

yk Aug 7th, 2004 07:06 AM

Kayb95-

See:
"What do you do for a living & how much vacation/holiday time do you get?"
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1292798

and
"Travellers, how much vacation time do you recieve per year?"
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1316159

and
"How much annual leave (paid vacation) do you get?"
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...&tid=79440

In my previous job, I had every 3rd week off, but I worked extremely hard during the 2 weeks. My new job does not really have any vacation time. I have to work 20 days/month, so the days I don't work are considered "vacation".

metlc Aug 7th, 2004 07:28 AM

Number of days off? I don't think it matters.

My experience in California has been that, with most companies larger than fifty employees, you dare not be absent more than a week, no matter how much "vacation time" you have accrued. Otherwise your bosses or their bosses will look for someone else to promote and/or take your place.

P_M Aug 7th, 2004 08:22 AM

I work for a major university and I get 10 hours per month vacation, which comes to 3 weeks a year. Additionally, the university is closed the week between Christmas and New Years and we can take that time off with pay and not use vacation. But we do have the option to work that week, which I usually do, so then I get another week off. So in total, I get 4 weeks a year plus the usual American holidays. This is probably the biggest reason I stay with this job. Now that I'm used to having all of this travel time, I would hate to go back to 2 weeks per year.

TravelerGina Aug 7th, 2004 08:45 AM

I get 20 vacation days, 8 sick days and 9 holidays per year. I have also banked the maximum of 30 sick days, so if I had to be off for six weeks, I'd receive full pay. However, if I leave the company, I loose the banked days.