Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How much to tip UK taxi driver? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-much-to-tip-uk-taxi-driver-991040/)

VonVan Sep 6th, 2013 08:12 AM

How much to tip UK taxi driver?

A recent discussion about tipping in UK B&Bs, which evolved into disagreement about tipping hotel chambermaids, made me wonder about taxis.

If you tip your driver, now much?
Does it make a difference London or elsewhere?

PalenQ Sep 6th, 2013 08:20 AM

On a recent thread it was said by Brits that you are not expected to tip cabbies - they get a good wage already I guess. Even airport shuttle drivers it was said by an expert with those that tips are not called for, which surprised me.

annhig Sep 6th, 2013 08:31 AM

I'm surprised at that too - i would normally tip a cabbie 10%, or round it up - £9 fare to £10.

PalenQ Sep 6th, 2013 08:33 AM

annhig BTW is a Brit.

Kate Sep 6th, 2013 08:38 AM

Some in the UK tip cabs and some people don't, so you'll never get a consensus. I tend to round up to the nearest note, as Ann does. I'd probably give an airport transfer £5.

I'm not aware of a difference between London and elsewhere, aside from London black cab drivers being the most arrogant on record, and probably feel the most entitled to a tip.

But there's plenty of people who wouldn't, so it's really up to you.

jamikins Sep 6th, 2013 08:38 AM

I would give a few quid like annhig and usually round up to the nearest 5 or 10

Dickie_Gr Sep 6th, 2013 08:40 AM

You do not bloody well tip anyone in Britain!

Leave your strange practices at home.

I am quite prepared to engage in the ritual giving away of hard earned cash in your United States because it is your custom, strange as it is.

In Britain we engage a product or service, receive an invoice an pay it. End.

I agree if a taxi fare came to 9 quid give the driver 10 to avoid the pound which you will probably lose anyway.

Please do not wander round hotels tipping the maids, dogs, cats and bed bugs.

VonVan Sep 6th, 2013 08:56 AM

I think the folks on the other thread just leave "the pound which you will probably lose anyway" for the chambermaid. Don't see the distinction between drivers and maids/

anicecupoftea Sep 6th, 2013 09:06 AM

The difference between tipping hotel housekeeping staff and taxi drivers is you don't generally interact with housekeeping, so they're not holding their hand out for your money and taking ages looking for change in the hope you'll tell them to keep it.

nyse Sep 6th, 2013 09:11 AM

All the more reason to tip the housekeeper.

nytraveler Sep 6th, 2013 09:56 AM

Well I guess everyone has differnt opinions. I tip everywhere - although not the 20% I would at home - but based on some contrary opinions here I have asked a couple of colleagues in the UK. And they tip:

Cab drivers always - more if the driver is hauling luggage for them (but maybe 10% total - and yes, I confirmed that 20% is correct in the US)

Tip in restaurants if there is no service charge

Don't seem to tip hotel maids

Now, they are all London-based (and travel a lot) and take cabs frequently - so that may make a difference

Cathinjoetown Sep 6th, 2013 10:47 AM

I've never had an arrogant black-cab driver in London, plenty of right-wingers, for sure. Just don't mention the NHS or immigration.

I tip them 10% or minimum a quid.

PalenQ Sep 6th, 2013 11:58 AM

Looks like the majority of Brits do modestly tip cabbies and airport transfers - contrary to what one airport transfer expert recently replied to me when I asked how much an airport transfer driver should be tipped - that it was not expected to leave anything.

So if Brits themselves conflict on what to do what is a dumb foreign tourist to do? At least round up to the nearest quid I guess and a few extra quid will always be appreciated if not expected from 'rich clueless' Americans?

Smeagol Sep 6th, 2013 02:54 PM

I round up or tip 10%

Hooameye Sep 7th, 2013 12:48 AM

"So if Brits themselves conflict on what to do what is a dumb foreign tourist to do? At least round up to the nearest quid I guess and a few extra quid will always be appreciated if not expected from 'rich clueless' Americans?"

As in the UK we've not been "brainwashed" into tipping, you will always get some people who tip and some who don't, I personally tip a waiter/waitress around 10% and a taxi driver to the nearest £ BUT I NEVER TIP if the service below the standard I would expect. So what most UK people "in their round about way" are trying to say is, only tip if you are satisfied with the service and don't tip the same inflated amount that you would in the U.S. Also definitely don't go into a McDonalds and argue that because it's an American company, you should be able to pay in U.S. dollars (as I experienced a few years ago), it doesn't do you any favours.

bilboburgler Sep 7th, 2013 01:31 AM

I think you see here the relentless pressure of the US culture on the UK culture, tips are expanding here. Hence the frustration for some Brits when Americans say, "it does no harm", it does, it changes the culture. Hence the push back.

Like others I round up taxis and haircuts but by normally £1 or worst case £2. Clearly if the service has been poor not only will I not tip, but I will find the manager and tell him why.

sofarsogood Sep 7th, 2013 01:35 AM

And a timely reminder for those tempted, it has been proven than you don't, and can't, tip cows

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smar...e-actually-do/

MissPrism Sep 7th, 2013 01:41 AM

I'm another for round up or 10%.
London taxi drivers can be very good. My daughter had a nasty fall in Holborn and got a head injury bad enough to need stitches. A cabby picked her up, and drove her to the nearest A and E. He then drove off while she was getting out her purse to pay hi

Dickie_Gr Sep 7th, 2013 01:46 AM

Bilbo

I would say the opposite. I feel there is a reaction against the ridiculous system post 2008. Money is tight, people have more sense.

PalenQ Sep 7th, 2013 08:46 AM

a tip in British parlance means to put something in the garbage, right? So a tip is literally to many Brits throwing money away?