how much time to leave at airports/train stations

May 30th, 2017, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

how much time to leave at airports/train stations

How far in advance would you get to:
Madrid Atocha station?
Sevilla Train station?
Granada airport?
Madrid airport for international flight?

and if we want to take a day trip to Toledo from Madrid do you advise getting tickets in advance or just winging it?

thanks
May 30th, 2017, 01:05 PM

Ask your hotel front desk as the time varies by day of week and time of day.
You probably want to be at train stations 30 minutes before departure.
May 30th, 2017, 01:14 PM

I always plan to get to train stations about an hour ahead of my train, if it's a major trip and a train station I don't know. Part of that is time built in for possible travel delays to the station, though, so it just works out that way, but that's the kind of person I am. I don't do risk.

Airports I always aim for 2 hrs in advance domestic and 3 hrs for international. I consider within Europe like domestic.
May 30th, 2017, 01:17 PM

and if we want to take a day trip to Toledo from Madrid do you advise getting tickets in advance or just winging it?>

See a current thread on just this that experts say Yes if in morning as trains can be full then with day trippers and groups.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...o-tomorrow.cfm

www.renfe.com for booking (www.thetrainline.eu similar fares easier to book yourself thru they say).

Long-distance Spanish trains have airport-style security checks (well not as thorough but metal detectors, etc.) so do arrive 15 minutes or so before your train.

For lots on trains check www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.
May 30th, 2017, 01:19 PM

Agree with Christina -I meant get to the actual train at least 15 minutes ahead of time - but to find the train in a large station yes get there an hour or so early and if time on your hands there are shops and eateries there.
May 30th, 2017, 01:23 PM

I have never, ever, gone to a train station an hour early!!! I have been to a large number in a number of different countries. Thirty minutes max, I'm more likely to aim for fifteen. All you have to do is find the departures board, which is usually right in fromt of you on entry, and then follow the signs to the correct track.

For airports I agree. Two hours for domestic and three for infernational. Another reason to take the train whenever possible.
May 30th, 2017, 01:27 PM

Madrid-Atocha can be paticularly confusing -there are two stations - it can be a bit flummoxing but yes 30 minutes should be sufficient.
May 30th, 2017, 01:29 PM

I did Madrid-Atocha to Barcelona year before last. I don't remember finding it confusing.
May 30th, 2017, 01:45 PM

Atocha Renfe is where you take a train from ..to
(Atocha metro and Atocha Cercania line are not your concern)
30 min. should be ok....there is a luggage security check.

Sevilla Santa Justa is smaller bus also busy.

Airport time may differ ...I travel with carry on only and try to print boarding card ahead of time, so a couple of hours works for me.
May 30th, 2017, 01:47 PM

Well I am a fairly experienced train traveler and the first time I was in Atocha (most trains used to leave from Charmatin before that) I got a bit confused by the underground station and the main station- I think there may have been works going on but that is also always a possibility.

Never hurts to be too early - at Atocha if it is a long-distance train you can probably board early and finding your right car and seat can also be confusing for someone not so experienced in train travel I think.

How long would you say they should be entering Atocha station? What kind of security are they doing now IYE?
May 30th, 2017, 01:50 PM

Renfe doesn't announce which track the train will be leaving on untill 20 minutes before departure. Depending on the station, then yes, it can be confusing trying to find where the platform is unless you've scouted around, so, if you're leaving from a station you've never been to before, you might want to consider arriving a little earlier.
May 30th, 2017, 01:59 PM

Robert -are security lines ever really long? Or a breeze? Not a factor -thanks!
May 30th, 2017, 02:15 PM

How long the security line is depends on the station. I've seen some fairly long lines at Atocha in the morning, but it's almost never a problem at smaller stations, unless they add enhanced security for some reason, which can happen.

Chamartin is the more confusing of Madrid's two main stations, so if you're using it, then arrive a little earlier then usual.

http://www.adif.es/en_US/infraestruc...n_000295.shtml
May 30th, 2017, 04:40 PM

We left at 8 am for an 11:30 flight from Madrid to Newark on United. It took a half hour to get to the airport. We got checked in and through security in about 35-45 minutes. It was kind of a breeze, but you just never know. We allow at least 3 hours for international flights plus transit time to the airport.
Jun 1st, 2017, 12:54 PM

I went to the Atocha station on a whim to try and get train tickets to Toledo for the same day, but there were no tickets available until 6pm...so yes, I would book ahead. Also, there was a big wait to talk to an agent at the station, so if you don't have reserved tickets, expect to spend time waiting to talk to an agent and buy a ticket.

Someone later asked me why I didn't just get on a bus to Toledo. Apparently there are several buses that run between Toledo and Madrid throughout the day. That didn't occur to me at the time, but that may be an option for you if you really want to maintain a flexible itinerary.
Jun 1st, 2017, 12:56 PM

Also, when you get to the Granada airport, make sure you go all the way to the gate. There are a series of waiting areas. At one point you have to walk through the Duty Free shop to get to the actual gates, which wasn't clear to me. The airport is bigger than I initially thought, so I assumed I was where I needed to be.
Jun 1st, 2017, 01:32 PM

Seville Santa Justa has luggage sexurity check on the platform.