Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How much time to get to Leonardo Express at FCO? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-much-time-to-get-to-leonardo-express-at-fco-847146/)

Gavin Jun 28th, 2010 07:09 PM

How much time to get to Leonardo Express at FCO?

I am working on a rendezvous plan at Rome Termini. Five of us already in Rome will be meeting two "stragglers" landing at FCO on an AA flight from JFK at 755 on a Saturday morning in September. After we meet up we all will travel onwards by rail. They will be near the back of the plane and are slow walkers. This will be their first time outside of North America and they will have been travelling for over 17 hours. Does anyone care to estimate how long it will take them to get through passport control, claim bags, buy tickets and find their way to the Leonardo Express? Thanks in advance for any input.

J62 Jun 28th, 2010 07:20 PM

A few years ago I took the same AA flight into FCO. Plane arrived on time, I got through passport control around 9 (over 1hr wait), and bags arrived at baggage claim at 9:45. I can't say if that is typical or not.

ymmv

ThinGorjus Jun 28th, 2010 08:25 PM

What are they buying tickets for after they claim their bags?

If they are buying tickets for the Leonardo Express at FCO, they do so IN the train station at the airport. They can buy the tickets from machines in the station or from the tobacco shop right in front of the trains.

There is also an ATM machine directly across from the tobacco shop.

Before you get on the train, validate your tickets in the YELLOW stamping machines.

The trains leave every half hour at 5 minutes past. For example: 7:05, 7:35, 8:05, 8:35.

Baggage can take a long time at FCO on a Saturday morning.

I estimate that they would be arriving at Termini between 10:30 and 11 AM.

Thin

ellenem Jun 28th, 2010 09:11 PM

Do you plan to go to FCO to meet them, only to turn around and go back to Termini to catch another train? If so, would it make sense for just one in your group already in Rome to make this trip to FCO to meet the stragglers? The others can wait in Rome and all meet up for your ongoing train.

ira Jun 29th, 2010 07:17 AM

ditto lnm

rs899 Jun 29th, 2010 09:00 AM

We flew into Rome a few months ago and tried to find the Leonardo Express. It was very confusing and poorly signed and we spent a good half hour spinning around. To top it off the train was standing room only and pretty warm. Not a great start to an otherwise great experience. Make sure you cancel your tickets as you board the train - they are looking for that...

Gavin Jun 29th, 2010 06:55 PM

Thanks for the time estimates. I will let the travellers know to cancel their tickets.

StCirq Jun 29th, 2010 07:06 PM

I've never experienced any confusion finding the Leonardo Express, even the first time I did it. I disagree it's not well signed. Heck, they even have pictures if you can't read the words, or they did the last time I was there. It IS hot on the Leonardo in summer, and sometimes crowded.

But anyway, I agree 10:30 or so would be a reasonable estimate.

Sher Jun 29th, 2010 08:13 PM

Allow two hours.