Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much time to allow for airport check-in at CDG

Sep 25th, 2001, 11:55 AM
Geoff Goss

We will be flying out of De Gaulle on Saturday Oct. 13. Our flight (to Canada) is at Noon. We had originally planned to return from Avignon via the train, to arrive at the airport around 10:00 a.m. With recent events and warnings of long check-in times, we are reconsidering this and may return the previous evening. The airline (Air Canada) recommends 3 hours to allow for check-in.

Is our two hour window (from 10 to 12) feasible or unrealistic or are we better off returning the previous evening and staying somewhere near the airport.

Thnaks for any advice.

Sep 25th, 2001, 12:41 PM
elvira

Minimum three hours - even before the heightened security, I always arrived 2 1/2 - 3 hours before departure because CDG can be unmanageable. If you have lots of luggage, it'll be longer; if you have carryons, add more time.

My flight CDG>LHR leaves at 11:25am; I intend to be there around 7:30am. At least there are shops and places to eat. Unless you can get a train two hours earlier, I'd come back the night before. You might also check into a flight from Avignon...

Sep 25th, 2001, 02:06 PM
Flora

I have flown out of CDG many times and usually arrive about 90 minutes prior to departure. I find it easy to manage and we usually have at least 30 minutes in the Admirals Club before we board. If you check bags, you may want to add 15 or 20 minutes to this- I have never checked a bag to or from Europe, so I can't say for sure.
As far as heightened security after the terrorist attacks, European airports have always had better security than in the US. Have they added any more steps to the boarding process since 9/11? I don't know.

elvira- Four hours lead time for a flight from Paris to London? Why not consider the Chunnel?

Sep 25th, 2001, 02:43 PM
ger

Geoff:

I am in Europe at the moment. Two hours is the very minimum at the best of times. Elvira is right. Come the night before as there may also be delays because of possible/anticipated terrorist activity in France. (Not that there will be, but there is increased sensitivity about unattended bags etc. that may delay your train.

Regards ... Ger

Sep 25th, 2001, 03:42 PM
travellyn

My vote after being there 9/21:
3 hours!

Sep 25th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Ken

CDG is a nightmare, the boarding area lines can be tremendous. allow at least 2 hours in the best of conditions, under current tightened security, look for a longer wait !!!

ps: its worth it.

Sep 25th, 2001, 09:28 PM
Andy

Geoff--I second Elivira's post--definitely 4 hours with all the heightened security--they now have 6 checkpoint in CDG--friend just got back last weekdend from 2 weeks in France...

You may want to get to the aiport area and overnite at a hotel near the airport so you won't be dead 1st thing in the morning--CDG is a nightmare on a good day,but with heightened security it will be even harder to negotiate.

Sep 25th, 2001, 10:09 PM
Chris

Hubby has priority check in -- took him 20 min at CDG last Tues. He did say that the lines were HUGE for regular check in.

I've usually arrived 2 hours ahead of time (via train) to CDG and been comfortable -- but that was before 9/11.

Sep 26th, 2001, 07:15 AM
Beth Anderson

all I can offer is this:

I came back on teh 17th.

of all the times to be LATE to the airport, you guessed it, I was late. I had hoped to at least be there 2 hours in advance... I was there barely an hour and a half in advance, a little less actually. (I had good intentions, but the hotel wasted about half an hour calling several cab companies for someone who could make it to the hotel in less than 20 minutes - had I snatched the first one I woulda actually left earlier...

at any rate, I was fine. check in (Air Canada) took NO time, but security took the rest of the time, I made it to the gate just as final call was being announced.

not that I would recommend it or anything...

Beth

Sep 26th, 2001, 07:34 AM
elvira

I would normally take the Chunnel, but the 7:00 train gets me into London at 11:30 - and I still have to get to Heathrow from there. For a few dollars more, I fly directly to London, leaving CDG at 11:30 and arriving LHR at 11:30.

Even if I had priority check-in, I'd still be concerned about security searches at the airport. And if there's a public transportation strike, or a delay of trains, or traffic jams...frankly, I don't do well under stress, so I'd rather have a huge cushion of time - I don't mind sitting with a coffee and reading - than be fretting that I won't make the plane.

I like the suggestion of staying near the airport the night before; I did that when I had an early morning flight, and it did cut down on the stress of having to be coherent real early in the morning. Most of the hotels near the airport have shuttle service to the airport.

Sep 27th, 2001, 02:43 PM
Joan

We flew out of DeGaulle on Sept. 19 and arrived at the airport at 8:40 for a 12:00 noon flight. As previous posters noted the lines for regular check-in were unbelievable but we made it through in plenty of time to board. We did stay at the Ibis Hotel at Roissypole the night before which was wonderfully convenient. We had a non-smoking room on what appeared to be an entire non-smoking floor for $80 and paid an additional $4 each for a very extensive buffet breakfast. The shuttles that take you to the various terminals are right outside the door as well as an RER terminal. We had booked into the other Ibis in Roissy De Gaulle and it was so horribly smokey that we immediately checked out.