Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How much time should I allow to catch the train (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-much-time-should-i-allow-to-catch-the-train-962120/)

Jinky Jan 9th, 2013 08:02 AM

How much time should I allow to catch the train

Our plane arrives (via London) in Amsterdam (Schiphol) at 14:05, and we need to catch the next train to Paris via Schiphol. (please don't ask why we don't just fly directly to Paris, the deal is done and we need to take the train).. :)

I am assuming we should leave time in case of a delay, etc. Especially since once I buy the tickets from the Thaly's site, they are not refundable. I don't want to spend and extra 200E for refundable tickets. We are arriving the first week of April and tickets are available to buy in advance now.

So, basically the question I need answered, <b>is which train would we comfortably be able to catch after the 14:05 flight arrival? </b> There are 4 of us - two adults and two teens, and we only have carry on bags.

15h34, 17h34 or 18h34 ? I do not know the layout of the airport, how long it takes to go from the plane to the train station (or where it is), if we have to get our passports checked again, etc.. I'd hate to buy 4 tickets today for the 15h34 train, only to miss it when we get there (because of a flight delay/getting lost/customs, etc)and not only be out all that $$, but then have to buy 4 more tickets at a higher price than the first batch.

Thanks, I will appreciate your advice. Hope I can get the answer in this thread.

Jinky Jan 9th, 2013 08:08 AM

Also, which do you suggest for getting the tickets, once purchased?

Ticketless, Collection from an Automatic Ticket Machine, Delivery free by post or Collection from the station??

tarquin Jan 9th, 2013 09:04 AM

I would not buy tickets in advance because if your flight is delayed, you've had it.

hetismij2 Jan 9th, 2013 09:18 AM

It rather depends on how strong your nerves are.

In theory if the flight is on time you could easily get get the 15.34, especially if you have carry-on only.
It can take 30 minutes from touchdown to disembarkation if you land on the wrong runway, and there is no way of saying which runway will be in use - it all depends on the winds that day.
Depending on the airline you are using it can also be quite a hike to get to passport control. You may be lucky and be at an adjacent gate but you may be up to 20 minutes walk away.
You will go through passport control since you are entering Schengen at Schiphol. That can take some time but for a flight from the UK shouldn't be too bad.
The station is clearly signposted and easy to find. You need to check the boards for which platform you need.

If the flight is delayed for any reason though you could be really cutting it fine.

So if you feel happy with that book the 15.34. If you want some leeway book the 17.34, and spend the time up at the roof terrace or wandering around the shops, enjoy a cup of coffee, find a quiet corner to relax, and be sure you will get your train.

Jinky Jan 9th, 2013 12:29 PM

hetismij2, thanks so much. We really appreciate the info.

I think we better take the 17.34 just in case. Schiphol looks like a pretty cool airport, so if we have to hang out a bit it will be a great way to do so. We are flying KLM, by the way :)

menachem Jan 9th, 2013 10:39 PM

I agree: the 17:34 seems the best option. You'll be able to have a bit of a breather between getting off the plane and catching the train, which might be welcome too. And this way, you can be sure you'll make it.

Jinky Jan 10th, 2013 07:17 AM

>><i>I would not buy tickets in advance because if your flight is delayed, you've had it.</i>

So you suggest waiting until we get there and paying a total of 806 € instead of 280 € .. Seriously?

Jinky Jan 10th, 2013 07:18 AM

That's a round trip ticket, and yes, it would be 806 € if bought there at the time of travel through Thaly's.

Jinky Jan 10th, 2013 07:19 AM

806 € for all four of us, RT.

tarquin Jan 10th, 2013 07:46 AM

You did not tell us the difference in cost. With that big a price jump, I too would go for the later train.

hetismij2 Jan 10th, 2013 08:08 AM

Glad to have been of help. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Jinky Jan 10th, 2013 08:09 AM

tarquin, it's amazing how much the price goes up :(

I miss the days when a train ticket price was the same, no matter when you bought it. When you could just show up and get a cheap ticket.

Even the "flex" tickets that allow one change would be almost 616€ -- 376€ more!

PalenQ Jan 10th, 2013 08:18 AM

>>I would not buy tickets in advance because if your flight is delayed, you've had it.

So you suggest waiting until we get there and paying a total of 806 € instead of 280 € .. Seriously?>

well yes the price difference was not known but the point being that if your plane was seriously delayed by some volcano or something you'd lose the 280 and then have to buy the 806$ ticket - but yes with such a differnce I'd take the remote chance but would put as much time in between train and plane as possible.

Yes Schiphol does offer a lot of amenities once you are out of customs - lots of shops and restaurants and even last I knew a branch of the Rijksmuseum - small branch and I recently read even a small red-light district though I doubt if that would interest you.

If you booked the last train - 18:34 and arrive on time you could take the train from Schiphol into Amsterdam, put bags in station locker and then just board the Thalys train from central station - even though your tickets are from Schiphol I think no one would mind but...maybe they would.

Jinky Jan 10th, 2013 08:46 AM

True PalenQ .. let's hope there's no volcano! ;)

We really don't want to book the last train and get into Paris so late. Fingers crossed that the 17.34 works!

Man_in_seat_61 Jan 11th, 2013 07:38 AM

The price difference should have been known. The Amsterdam-Paris Thalys fare is ALWAYS a megabucks €130 on the day fully-flexible, but from €35 in advance, so any advice to wait and buy on the day should have taken that into account.

It's like the OP saying they're not sure when they'll arrive at their departure airport because of the traffic, so telling them to stay flexible and buy their flight ticket to Europe at the airport an hour before take off! ;0)

Doppio Jan 11th, 2013 08:58 AM

Man in seat 61, what do you suggest that OP do?