Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How Much Time Needed for Towns in Bernese Oberland Region of Switzerland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-much-time-needed-for-towns-in-bernese-oberland-region-of-switzerland-1048902/)

mrt Jun 24th, 2015 03:16 AM

How Much Time Needed for Towns in Bernese Oberland Region of Switzerland

I will be spending 2 nights and 1.5 days in Interlaken next week and wanted to see the towns nearby: Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Wengen, Grindelwald, Kleine Scheidegg, as many as possible within the time I have. Would also like to do some hikes in the area using the towns as a base. Is it feasible to see these towns in the time I have? I also have a eurail global pass, so will that cover the trains between these towns? Thanks for the help.

Mrt

nytraveler Jun 24th, 2015 04:12 AM

And you're not going to ascend the Jungfrau?

Sorry, these towns are places to stay, relax and do hikes from - while charming they are not major tourist sights in themselves.

mrt Jun 24th, 2015 04:18 AM

Let's say I ascended the Jungfrau Saturday and then had most of Sunday to see these towns (train leaves Interlaken at 4pm), would that be a solid plan?

mrt Jun 24th, 2015 04:21 AM

Actually I just checked prices to ascend Jungfrau and I think it's too expensive for a young traveler on a budget like myself, so please just respond to my original post about the time needed to see these towns and hike around them.

NorCal_Jo Jun 24th, 2015 07:20 AM

To make sure I understand, you will stay in Interlaken Friday night and Saturday night and so will have all day Saturday and half of Sunday, correct?

Of course it all depends on your priorities of hiking time vs relaxing in towns. Anyway, based on many trips to the area, here is what I would suggest to get your biggest bang for the buck given the towns you listed and since you are young, I imagine you will have lots of energy for a long day! If you want to max time up in the mountains vs the Interlaken area which is also nice on the lakes, then I suggest one day doing the Wengen (and possibly Grindelwald) side and the other day on the Murren side something as follows:

Saturday - take EARLY train up to Wengen. This train goes through Lauterbrunnen and while a nice town, I don't suggest you spend time here unless it was important to you to go see the Tremmelbach Falls from the valley floor (see below). You will get a great view of Lauterbrunnen while you ascend to Wengen. Take a stroll through Wengen and you can stop for a b-fast/snack on the main street - there is a bakery on the left as you walk up the main street. Then, take the cable car from Wengen up to Mannlichen. Again a gorgeous view of Wengen and the area from above and you can see Murren in the distance across the valley. Once on top, you can take the gorgeous and easy 3 mile hike (a walk really) from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg and have lunch in Kleine Scheidegg (KS) You will be treated to views down into the Grindelwald valley.
Now, you have several choices depending on how early of a start you got, mood for hiking, and energy levels! There are many variations but the key decision is whether you want to route back to Interlaken through Wengen or through Grindelwald as both are an option since trains go either direction from KS. Also, in both directions you can do a hike partway down and then catch the train (for example you can do a short hike from KS to Wengernalp and catch the train there).

Day 2 (Sunday) - since you have to be back down for a 4pm train, you'll once again want to get up early and take the train/cable this time to Murren BLM (via Lauterbrunnen). You can take a morning stroll through Murren and again, have many options on this side of the valley.
- You can take the cable up to Schilthorn (although cost may be a factor).
- You can take the funicular up to Allmendhubel (nice place for a snack/drink on top) and walk back down to Murren (there are easy trails) for beautiful views.
- You can take the nice walk from Murren down to Gimmelwald. From there either go back up to Murren via cable or you could go down into the valley via Stechelberg cable and take the post bus back to Lauterbrunnen and catch train back to Interlaken. If taking this route, is possible you could go see the Tremmelbach falls if you started early enough.

In terms of cost, I'm not sure about your eurail pass. Possible it might work on the lower train to say Lauterbrunnen but I'm guessing it won't work anywhere above so perhaps another poster can help there.

Have fun!

kja Jun 24th, 2015 06:23 PM

"I will be spending 2 nights and 1.5 days in Interlaken next week and wanted to see the towns nearby: Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Wengen, Grindelwald, Kleine Scheidegg, as many as possible within the time I have. Would also like to do some hikes in the area using the towns as a base. Is it feasible to see these towns in the time I have?"

IME, no.

Decide on your priorities, prepare for unexpected weather, and plan accordingly.

jane86 Feb 2nd, 2019 07:07 AM

Hello,

My husband I are currently planing a trip to Switzerland during second and third week of June, 2019. Just came across your comments on this forum, your suggestions for the bernese oberland area are helpful. However, I am still not able to set with our itinerary due to the complexity and interconnections of sites in this area. Would like to hear from you and any one for further help and suggestions in planing the activities, such as how to arrange the 3 days activities around Grindewald area.

We will fly in and out from Zurich (17 days including travel time, arriving at Zurich June 8), for the first 4 days we would like to go to Bavaria area, possibly to Rhine Cruise by train, then come back by train and start touring Switzerland, would like to take Luzern, possibly Grinderwald, as bases each for 4 nights and 3 days, at the end go to Zermatt for 2 days, then come back by train to Zurich on June 22. We would like to go to Rigi, Brienz in Luzern area, then Wengen, Schitrhorn, Murren, Aletsch Glacier, Mannlichen cable car, etc, and take some of the scenic lower to medium hike routes. For Zermatt, to Matterhorn.

The following is a tentative timeline for your reference:
June 8 arriving at Zurich, taking train directly to Bavaria
June 9 Bavaria
June 10 day trip to Neuschwanstian Castle
June 11 possibly Rhine Cruise
June 12 Luzern
June 13 Luzern to lake of Luzern then to Rigi
June 14 Luzern to interlaken, Brienz cruise, and open air museum, back to Luzern
June 15 Grindelward
June 16 Grindelward
June 17 Grindelward
June 18 Grindelward
June 19 Zermatt
June 20 Zermatt
June 21 Zermatt
June 22 Back to Zurich by Glacia express train
June 23 leaving Zurich

Is this douable? Thank you in advance, for your advice.

tuscanlifeedit Feb 2nd, 2019 07:24 AM

To the OP: taking the train and lifts are what took our time in these same locations. I found the towns essentially boring. Pretty but not interesting. All the interest in this area, for me, involved looking, hiking, and riding lifts and trains. Really not much time needed for towns.

jane86 Feb 2nd, 2019 07:39 AM

Thanks for your reply and input.

Understand it. Grindelward is a town which will be used as our base to explore the area. How many days would be needed to do the lifts, hiking in the area, which one should we do as priority? Such as to go Klein Schrilthorne, how long does it take etc.

Thank you

PalenQ Feb 2nd, 2019 07:42 AM

If doing that by train a Swiss Travel Pass would be great - www.sbb.ch Swiss Railway's official site for fares to compare with pass. For lots on Swiss trains check www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricvksteves.com and www.seat61.com.

neckervd Feb 2nd, 2019 08:03 AM

TO MRT:
As said above: there is nothing to see at Grindelwald, Wengen, Muerren, etc but hotels, holiday chalets and flats, many restaurants and some shops. Actually, everythng is full with people who arrived for skiing, boarding, sledding and apres-ski.
Hiking is fine: there are many well prepared panoramic winter hiking trails all over the area. With good hiking boots and some small crampons (that you can buy everywhere in the area) you will have no problem.
Actually, the weather is awful: thick fog, no view, some wind, temperature around 25 degrees Fahrenheit during the whole day. Similar forecast for tomorrow, but temperature around 18 degrees Fahrenheit. Monday - Wednesday may get sunny and increasingly warmer (up to 30 degrees F), before the next clouds may arrive Thursday.
The Eurailpass is valid from the midlands up to Interlaken. Beyond this point, you will get a reduction of 25 per cent.
For example: a Interlaken - Wengen RT ticket will cost 21 USD instead of 28 USD

neckervd Feb 2nd, 2019 08:33 AM

TO JANE:

what do you mean with "Bavaria"?
Ulrichsbruecke-Fuessen resp. Fuessen (railway stations for Neuschwanstein castle) is a 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 hrs train ride from Zurich airport.

what do you mean with "Rhine cruise"?
The most popular Rhine river boats go from Ruedesheim to Koblenz. That's 300 miles (or 6 hrs by train) away from Neuschwanstein castle.
But there are also Rhine river boats between Lake Constance and the Rhine Falls (Schaffhausen), close to Zurich.
A Lake Consstance - Rhine river boat ride from Bregenz to Schaffhausen would take about 8 hrs. Bregenz is along the railway line between Fuessen and Zurich.

The Lake Brienz cruise is easier to do from Grindelwald than from Lucerne. You could also stop over at Brienz on your way from Lucerne to Grindelwald.

Everything you mention is feasible, of course!

HappyTrvlr Feb 2nd, 2019 02:31 PM

Why don't you stay in a village in the Berner Oberland instead of staying in Interlaken?

neckervd Feb 3rd, 2019 02:41 AM

The Berner Oberland goes from Grimsel Pass/Susten Pass/Titlis via Meiringen - Brienz - Thun - Zweisimmen up to Glacier de la Planie Morte and Glacier3000. Interlaken is more or less in the center of the Bernese Oberland.

PalenQ Feb 3rd, 2019 07:59 AM

If a young traveler on a budget check out both the HI-hostel and the Nature Friends House in Grindelwald and yes stay up in dem hills and not Interlaken - though the legendary Balmer's Auberge hostel could be a fun place to stay - they also organize action excursions like white water rafting.

jane86 Feb 3rd, 2019 08:39 AM

Swiss Alps in June

Thank you all for your reply, thank you@neckerd and @PalenQ for the detailed information. All are helpful.
Is it true that you are only allowed to post two answers in 24 hours for this forum?

Yes, will get the discount cards for train and sites in Switzerland.

Regarding to the weather in bernese oberland, how will June 10- 17 be like? Will all the cable cars be open? How about the interest trails? Which will be open? Which are not? If the weather were bad, what should we do? We can consider Bern as one day trip. Any other suggestions? If we will go to Zermatt for matterhorn, should we give up Jungfraujon, since we also plan to go up to Schilthorn? Any suggestions for specific sites?

Regarding to Germany, I mentioned Bavaria, meaning the area around the Neuschwanstein. We will visit the two castles for one day, spend another day near Fussen and Reutte by car? Any suggestions about what to see there?

Now understand the Rhine river cruise would be difficult to do near Zurich. The river cruise between Bregenz and lake constance is a little time consuming for us. So we wouldn't not do it, will go to Luzern directly from Fussen. Does this make sense?

Regarding to the visit to Brienz, what is the best route? Since our next destination will be Griendleward after Luzern, should we take our luggage with us? If not should we get back to Luzern, then go to Griendleward next day? We would like to also see Ballenberg open air museum at Brienz and train ride to the Rothernbahn, will one day trip from luzern be enough?

Thank you again, in advance

jane86 Feb 5th, 2019 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by PalenQ (Post 16866703)
If doing that by train a Swiss Travel Pass would be great - www.sbb.ch Swiss Railway's official site for fares to compare with pass. For lots on Swiss trains check www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricvksteves.com and www.seat61.com.

Please advice how long ahead should we book the train tickets for Switzreland and Germany? Does half fare card apply in nearby Germany? Can half fare card be bought online?

Thank you

jane86 Feb 5th, 2019 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by tuscanlifeedit (Post 16866684)
To the OP: taking the train and lifts are what took our time in these same locations. I found the towns essentially boring. Pretty but not interesting. All the interest in this area, for me, involved looking, hiking, and riding lifts and trains. Really not much time needed for towns.

Originally Posted by neckervd (Post 16866716)
TO MRT:
As said above: there is nothing to see at Grindelwald, Wengen, Muerren, etc but hotels, holiday chalets and flats, many restaurants and some shops. Actually, everythng is full with people who arrived for skiing, boarding, sledding and apres-ski.
Hiking is fine: there are many well prepared panoramic winter hiking trails all over the area. With good hiking boots and some small crampons (that you can buy everywhere in the area) you will have no problem.
Actually, the weather is awful: thick fog, no view, some wind, temperature around 25 degrees Fahrenheit during the whole day. Similar forecast for tomorrow, but temperature around 18 degrees Fahrenheit. Monday - Wednesday may get sunny and increasingly warmer (up to 30 degrees F), before the next clouds may arrive Thursday.
The Eurailpass is valid from the midlands up to Interlaken. Beyond this point, you will get a reduction of 25 per cent.
For example: a Interlaken - Wengen RT ticket will cost 21 USD instead of 28 USD

I am a little confused about the weather in this area, we will be in the area for 3 days, for going up to Junfrajoch and Schilthorne , how would the weather likely be in early-mid June? How are the temperatures in June? Hiking is secondary to getting to the mountain tops, is it worth going up to both? would it be still muddy in June for hiking? You mentioned the hiking boots? Please advice.

Thank you

PalenQ Feb 5th, 2019 03:38 PM

The weather in Alps is very fickle - rain or wet conditions always possible - sometimes for days on end. On a rainy day you could day trip over to Bern or take boats on either lake, etc. No one can guarantee good weather in the Alps - not likely more than a day but very possible some days in row as last years have demonstrated.

Neckervd who lives near there can confirm or correct this.

neckervd Feb 6th, 2019 05:42 AM

Nothing to correct. It's a fact that weather is ALWAYS unpredictable in the Alps.
The Northern slopes of the Alps (Bernese Oberland, Lucerne, etc.) get more rain than interalpine valleys (Valais/Zermatt, Valtellina, Val Venosta, etc.).
Averages for June (Bernese Oberland):
days with rainfall: 10-13
amoount of precipitation: 95 mm
temperatures: 50 - 70 F

All mountain railways, lifts, boats and post buses will run in mid June. Most hiking trails will be open, some legs may be covered with some snow, however.

I wouldn't go to Jungfraujoch AND Schilthorn AND Kleinmatterhorn (Matterhorn Paradise). There is much more to see BELOW these peaks, especially around Zermatt.

Brienz: there is a lot do do there:
Ballenberg open air museum
Aar Gorge (with a lot of water in early June)
cog wheel steam railway to Brienzer Rothorn
cableway from Meiringen to Planplatten (Alpen Tower)
Sherlock Holm sites at Meiringen
Giessbach Falls and Belle Epoque Hotel
Lake Brienz boats.

There is a luggage deposit at Brienz railway station:
Monday-Friday 08:20 a.m. –11:40 a.m. / 13:20 p.m. – 5.45 p.m.
Closed on Saturday/Sunday and bank holidays