Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   how much time in York, Edinburgh, etc? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-much-time-in-york-edinburgh-etc-978998/)

twelveoaks12 May 24th, 2013 05:11 AM

how much time in York, Edinburgh, etc?

We are planning a trip to England and Scotland using Britrail. We plan to spend about three days in London going to Windsor castle and other sights easily accessible from London. From there we plan on using the high speed train to go to York and Edinburgh. My question is: Should we stop off in York ? How much is there to do/see there and how many days should we allocate for York ? Also, same questions for Edinburgh ?

jamikins May 24th, 2013 06:12 AM

Have you been to London before? If not don't underestimate the time needed to see the sites here! How much time you need for York and Edinburgh depends on what you want to see and how much time you have for your entire trip.

It would save you time to fly into London and out of Edinburgh...or vice versa. What are your full trip plans?

jent103 May 24th, 2013 06:30 AM

Definitely agree with jamikins - if you haven't been to London before, three days is barely enough to see the things most people think of (Tower, Westminster, British Museum, Eye, St Paul's), much less anything else. Plus if you arrive on day 1, that's really just 2.5 days, and Windsor is at least half a day.

For Edinburgh, personally I'd give it about two full days (three nights). You could do more if you have time. It's been too long since I've been to York to really comment.

twelveoaks12 May 24th, 2013 06:52 AM

We've been to London and done all of the sights in the city. What we haven't done is day trips to Windsor Castle, Stonehinge, etc so that is why we are giving London three days.

Our confusion comes in with York and Edinburgh. Neither of us enjoy cathedrals but love castles. Is York even worth a stop ?

nytraveler May 24th, 2013 07:45 AM

York is fascinating - and the Cathedral is of historic interest (roman ruins on up with a big emphasis on the viking invasions and Erik BloodAxe). Definitely a couple of days.

You also need at least 2 full days (3 nights) in Edinburgh plus time for other parts of Scotland you will want to see from there.

jamikins May 24th, 2013 07:47 AM

York is definitely worth a stop...depending on how much time you have left...you didn't answer that part of the question.

There is a fabulous cathedral, a great Viking museum, a great railway museum, nice town centre...

So maybe worth an early start from London, spend one night in York...or two depending in the rest of your schedule and your interests...

Why don't you research it and see if it grabs you
http://www.visityork.org/

twelveoaks12 May 24th, 2013 09:03 AM

We will have a total of twelve days in the UK not counting flying in and out. So three in London and then ?

jent103 May 24th, 2013 09:30 AM

Have you booked tickets already, flying home from London, or would you be able to fly back from, say, Edinburgh?

jent103 May 24th, 2013 09:33 AM

Also, what time of year?

sf7307 May 24th, 2013 10:35 AM

I'd want two days in York (including the time getting there from London) (definitely worth it and even if you're not into cathedrals, this one is spectacular) and two or three in Edinburgh (including the time getting there from York if you can leave early enough)

janisj May 24th, 2013 11:37 AM

1.5 to 2 days in York plus additional time if you want to visit Castle Howard and/or Fountains Abbey.

europeannovice May 24th, 2013 01:33 PM

Check out our trip report from last year where we did just that--Oxford, Cotswolds, York and Edinburgh. York is definitely worth the stop. Plenty to do-walk the walls, take a free tour from the voluntary tour guides, the Minster, the Railroad museum which is really great.

Edinburgh also has loads of stuff to do--the Castle, Camera Obscura, the writer's museum, Gladstone's Land, St Giles, the walk down the Royal Mile to the Queen's Palace, Arthur's Seat, the National Museum of Scotland. Plenty for three or four days.

Rastaguytoday May 24th, 2013 01:35 PM

I've been to both York and Edinburgh numerous times. For my trip this August, I will stay 3 nights in each, with 2 1/2 days on the ground in the respectvive cities.

Lots to do in York and Edinburgh.

emily71 May 25th, 2013 03:51 AM

I stayed 5 days in York and had plenty to do so I'd budget at least two nights. York is such a pleasant city after London-ver friendly and less hype. Walk the walls for free. Climb to the top of the Minster for great views as well as the rail museum. I've always loved London but York is a close second.

sf7307 May 25th, 2013 07:37 AM

The first time we were there, I referred to the center of York as "York-eyland". We loved it. Does anyone else remember the "museum" that used to be on the hill that had all manner of "stuff" (vacuum cleaners, toilets....).

europeannovice May 25th, 2013 06:00 PM

sf7307--I think it is called the Castle Museum and it is great. It is near to Clifford's Tower. The castle museum has period street scenes, "stuff" as you said from different time periods and a 1960's tribute.

York is definitely worth a stop. There are the walls to walk on, a great voluntary guided tour around the center, beginning at exhibition square if I recall correctly, the castle museum, the rail road museum--they have a Japanese bullet train and the Great Scotsman and a whole bunch of railroad signs and trains to explore. Plus you have the York Minster which has great architecture even if you are not into cathedrals. In York, they do all manners of ghost walks at night. It is a lovely place and is very different from London. We didn't do the Viking museum so can't comment on that.

basingstoke2 May 25th, 2013 06:14 PM

I agree with the suggestions to include York and to schedule 2 nights. Even for one who doesn't particularly enjoy cathedrals, York Minster is exceptional. I would also take the free volunteer led walking tour that leaves from near the TI office 2X/day. I think at 10 and 2 but check on the right times. It is well worthwhile and will give you a good overview of the city and its history. The tour is about 2 hours.

The train trip to Edinburgh is quick and easy. Sit on the right hand side of the car for the best views. If you are still looking for a place to stay in Edinburgh, we found the B&B 15 Hart in New Town to be a gem and well priced too.