How much time in Sorrento?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've booked 5 nights in Sorrento, really only 4 full days since we're training in from Florence.

I'd like to do Pompeii (although I've told it's "boring" by two people)!
Capri, the ferry along the Amalfi Coast.

I've also got 3 nights in Florence, so I guess my question is rather than 5/4, does it make more sense to do 4/4? I won't be doing too much "art" in Florence, but was wondering about doing a day trip to a vineyard.

If I take the ferry to Amalfi, is there time to get the bus to Ravello, or is that too rushed? Not worth seeing Ravello?

I'm sorry to be so fuzzy, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed right now.

I don't really think either 5/4 or 4/4 would be a mistake, so I'm just looking for opinions and advice.

Thanks.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 10:34 AM

I think you will need all 5 nites in Sorrento to see all of that. Do not miss Ravello--my favorite on the AC. I would catch the early SITA bus to Amalfi and transfer to the Ravello bus as you arrive. You catch it at the opposite corner of the circle near the bus lot where you arrive. We have just returned from there--heer are my pics:
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4481
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 10:42 AM

bob, your photos are amazing. did you write a trip review? if not, can you share more about where you stayed and what you did? struggling with an itinerary now
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 10:43 AM

Pompeii is only boring if you have no interest in the history of it. There are docu's all the time on the volcano and the inhabitants and victims, maybe rent one before you go to see if it would interest you.

Yes, take a look at bob's photos, they are excellent.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 10:52 AM

No report as yet. We stayed in Naples for 4 nites, Sorrento for 2[ Antiche Mura] and had an apartment in Praiano for a week. The challenge on that coast is transportation. Pompeii and Capri are easy enough from Sorrento[ we did that years ago], but seeing Poitano, Amalfi, and Ravello is the challenge for Sorrento. I would pop for a private driver for at least a transfer to Ravello--using the SITA bus/ferry combo can be a real hassle and is dependent on timing.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 10:58 AM

We did 5 nights in Sorrento after 3 nights in Amalfi, and we felt the length of time in Sorrento was great. We did Capri one day; Pompeii one day; Naples one day; and Herculaneum and Oplontis on one day. This left us time to see Sorrento, as well. Pompeii is astounding and not at all boring, IMHO.

We loved the Antiche Mura in Sorrento.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 11:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; I think if you took the ferry from Sorrento to Amalfi and spent time there. Then the SITA bus to Ravello. The busses run frequently. Seeing some towns from the water is spectular on the ferry. We also loved the Actiche Mura. Getting off the train and rolling the luggage down a grade to the hotel was easy. Perhaps about one hundred yards. I realize you have your hotel in Sorrento, but www.hotelantichemura.com
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 11:26 AM

Pompeii is defintely worth it, and to really pull it all together, definitely take one of your days to train to Naples to visit the Archaeological museum to see the Pompeii artifacts - they're amazing. I liked seeing them after seeing Pompeii, some people prefer it the other way around. And you have to try Neopolitan pizza!
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 11:31 AM

If you are in Amalfi, don't miss Ravello. I agree with Bob, Ravello is the most spectacular city on the AC. It is a short ride 9maybe only 2 miles.) Taxis are a big rip-off, so don't miss the bus!
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

All good avdice, thanks.

Bob, your pictures are amazing. Thanks for sharing with us. I'm really excited to be going now!