How much time in Galicia on the way to Bilbao

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're landing in Oporto, then cabbing it to Vigo where we'll pick up a car and drive to Pontevedre where we will stay 2 days and tour the area, including SDC. Is that enough time? There is a nice parador at Pontevedre that I thought would be a good base, rather than moving to SDC the next day, since they are close.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 04:36 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
The parador at Baiona is beautiful, right on the water,walk into town. We loved it there.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 05:08 PM

I visited Pontevedra as a day trip from Santiago. Frankly, it's a nice town but I'm glad we weren't staying there but rather in Santiago. I agree, if you only have 2 days is not worth moving after one night. But if you can spend more time in Galicia I would stay also in Santiago.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 07:19 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You must also stay in Santiago de Compostela,a magical spot. It is one of of my time favorite places.
We stayed in the parador on the plaza which was built as a hospital for the pilgrims by Isabel and Feedinand. I would stop in Baiona for one night and SdC,two.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 11:42 PM

Only 2 days to see Galicia or only two days to see Pontevedra and SdC?
2 days for Galicia is not enough. 2 days for the two cities is ok but you may need more time.

The suggestion of the Parador in Baiona is fine, but it not a good location if you want to see SdC because you have to drive through the large city of Vigo several times. The road between Pontevedra and SdC is normally good and free flowing road.

BTW as from mid October 2010 (yes that that has just gone) all highways in the North of Portugal are tolled. You will find that the taxi fares will now reflect the extra cost of this. Maybe the taxi fare will be over 200€, is it worth it?