How much time for customs in Zurich?

Apr 19th, 2001, 04:39 AM
Cindy

How much time for customs in Zurich?

We are flying into Zurich, and will be taking a train out. We were checking the train schedules out of Zurich airport, but wasn't sure how much time it would take to get through customs. Is an 1 - 1/2 hours enough to get our luggage and go through customs? Or should we allow more time?

What has been your experiences?

Apr 19th, 2001, 05:02 AM
Ed

We've done it in under 25 minutes, including purchasing Swiss Passes!

You'll have no problem as long as your flight is reasonably on time.

Also, to most destinations there are trains hourly at least, often more.

twenj

Apr 19th, 2001, 05:02 AM
s

Cindy,
In the past, I've gotten through passport control, baggage claim, and customs in 30 minutes! Yup, usually within 30 minutes of de-planing (is that a word?), I am standing at the track at the train station. To be careful, however, check the schedules for 30, 60, & 90 minutes after landing to allow for late departure from the US, etc. Also, be sure to allow time to get to one of the grocery stores in the terminal before you board your train -- cheese, bread, water, yogurt, and chocolate can go a long way to starting your vacation right!

s

Apr 19th, 2001, 05:07 AM
Ursula

Cindy: I suppose you will arrive early in the morning. There are some overseas flight coming in (US and Asia), but customs are quite efficient and I agree with the above answers.
Arriving in the evenings usually takes more time.
Zurich airport is most convenient if you need to take the train. It's just in the basement.

Apr 19th, 2001, 05:40 AM
Bob Brown

The last time I landed at the Zürich Airport, getting through customs and passport control was a question of how fast I could walk. The elderly official at the gate was waving people through with both hands. I held out my passport and he did not even look to see if it was my picture.
I think it all depends on what the alert status is for the day. I entered once by train and the Border Patrol and customs officials struck with great energy. They had cans of Nescafe, packages of cigarettes, etc. flying out of suitcases so fast that I was amazed.
I am not sure what they were after, but it was about like a strip search.
So to quote a tired phrase, "It all depends."

Apr 19th, 2001, 12:08 PM
Cindy

Thanks for all the helpful advice! Sounds like we have more than enough time