Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > How much time do I spend in these Italian cities?
Notices

How much time do I spend in these Italian cities?

Apr 12th, 2016, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

How much time do I spend in these Italian cities?

Hello! I will be spending 8 days in Italy at the end of May. My travel partners and I decided to tour Florence, Cinque Terre, Venice, and Milan. Any suggestions on which places to spend more time in and what to do while there?
Apr 12th, 2016, 07:49 PM

Four days Venice,
Four days Florence ... and that's a bare minimum for these two cities!

If you're not including travel days in your question then pick one, and do day trips or overnights to the surrounding region.

I spent five days each in Florence and Venice, and loved them both & could have spent more time in either. Friends who only spent a few nights in each hated Venice and were disappointed in Florence. You kind of need to see the quiet side of the city in order to appreciate the highlights.
Apr 12th, 2016, 08:08 PM

You're not indicated where you are coming from, but at best you have 7 full days. Be aware that Florence to Cinque Terre takes about 3 hours on trains, and from there to Venice 5 or 6, plus about an hour on either end of a train journey when changing hotels. Other than CT figure half a day travel. With 3 stops, assuming you can travel to one and out of the last, you would probably have 2.5 days in 2 locations and 1.5 in the third.
Apr 12th, 2016, 08:11 PM

4 places in 8 days equals 2 days each.

You will spend time getting in and out of all of these.

I'm not going to tell you what to do, or even what I would do, but you should probably prioritize. And maybe cut a place.

Ask yourself what you would like to do in each of these places, and that will give you an idea of how much time you'll need.
Apr 12th, 2016, 11:52 PM

Minimum for Venice is 2 nights but you could do 2 weeks
Milan is a big city and minimum would be 1 night and you could extend it to 1 week, but, there really are only 1 world class thing in town, so if the Duomo and Micheal Angelo is of no interest then avoid.
CT is a walk in the park and May may be a bit early in the year
Florence you need a minimum of 2 nights to 6 weeks

Have a great time, holidays can be about what you see, but they can be about travel or just watching people walking by
Apr 13th, 2016, 12:13 AM

May is not too early to go to le Cinque Terre. There are more attractions in Milan than the Duomo and Michaelangelo. (How about Leonardo Da Vinci's Last Supper????)

Everybody is different about what they like to do and enjoy when they travel. And not many people posting on the internet know as much about Italian cities as guidebooks do. Check out some guidebooks and pick what interests you and think about how you want to spend your time. I would go crazy trying to do "day trips" to crowded places. I'd rather go spend the night and see the town early in the morning, and when the tourists have left.

In the end, you and your friends need to work this out. I wouldn't bring more people into the mix, with their ideas or lack of information.
Apr 13th, 2016, 12:20 AM

we like milan very much-- but mostly go there as it always seems to be the city we fly into or out of. with such limited time, i would probably leave out milan (unless there's something specific you want to see there.)

cinque terre is pretty out of the way and the little trains through there have skimpy timetables... so i think you would need to count it for 3 days... getting in and out will take some time...

agree with above. you probably need to pare down.
Apr 13th, 2016, 12:53 AM

sandra's right, I confuded my Angelo with my Da Vinci
Apr 13th, 2016, 02:33 AM

There are plenty of world class things to see and do in Milan. I would just mention the Brera Gallery, one of the foremost museums of Italian painting in the world, which also has a good selection of other European painters.

The Sforzesca Castle is also very much worth seeing, and there's actually a statue by Michelangelo there, although it's unfinished.

If you really must squeeze in all of these places, and assuming you'll have to fly into and out of Milan, I'd do it in this order: On arrival in Milan (Malpensa airport), go directly to Venice by train (changing trains in Milan).

Venice 1 or 2 nights, then train to Florence
Florence, 1 or 2 nights, then train to Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre, minimum of 2 nights if you want to hike, then train to Milan
Milan 2 nights

If you have any extra nights, add them to the place which has the most things you want to see. For that, you really should consult a guidebook.
Apr 13th, 2016, 02:57 AM

I'm like some - the minimum of time in Milano, the Max in Venice.
Apr 13th, 2016, 04:02 AM

When considering what to do in a place I ask myself why I chose to go there to start with and then I read guidebooks, Internet sites, and trip reports . That then informs how long I need.
Apr 13th, 2016, 04:14 AM

I am a little concerned that your subject mentions "cities" but your post mentions Cinque Terra, which is about as far from a city as you can get, the principal attraction being hiking or taking trains between a series of nearly vertical cliff side towns.
Apr 13th, 2016, 04:59 AM

Too many place in too few days.
Can't recommend what you should do or how long you should spend in each without knowing your interests. For instance, if art is high on your list, I might recommend more time in Florence. If it isn't, I wouldn't.
Apr 13th, 2016, 05:26 AM

Forence: 3 days
Venice: 2-3 days
Milan: 1 (full) day
5Terre: 10 min for each village, plus time for hiking
Apr 13th, 2016, 08:35 AM

You can also take boats between the Cinque Terre (not Terra) towns. The trains are so overcrowded that often the passengers waiting at the stations won't even fit on the platforms.

Hiking between all five towns hasn't been possible for several years now because of the risk of landslides on part of the coastal path.

I wouldn't go there for less than two nights, because it takes so long to get there, and to get away. With one night you'd have only a few hours to see the towns. If you stay two nights, you would have a chance to escape the hordes of tourists by hiking on some of the higher (less crowded) trails.

In high season, I wouldn't go there at all.

Search this Thread