Hotel in Amsterdam

Old Apr 12th, 2016, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Amsterdam

We are taking a River Cruise from Amsterdam to Basel in September. We had to wait to get an okay from my husband's doctor that he could go so we are now making our arrangements for before the cruise and after the cruise. We decided to fly into Amsterdam a day before the cruise and the tour operator's allotment of rooms is sold out and for us to book our own room at their hotel of choice De L'Europe while very nice is more than we are comfortable to spend.
My question is twofold - Would we be better off taking a room at the De L'Europe because it includes transfers to and from the hotel and from the hotel to the ship. Or - Does anyone have another recommendation of a 4 star hotel in Amsterdam? Your replies are very much appreciated as this is only my second forum since I joined.
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 07:55 AM

I think the "transfers included" aspect might be a decent savings and certainly a convenience. I would do some comparisons on what those would cost if you arranged your own.

I've stayed at the Renaissance Amsterdam (Marriott) which is 4*, very pleasant. We chose it because it's walking distance to the train station and close to a tram line but given your short stay, those factors might not be that appealing.
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 08:49 AM

De l'Europe has a beautiful location, but is not really the cheapest in town. I doubt whether the included transfers would really compensate for the cost. There are quality hotels at walking distance from the railway station, which has a frequent excellent service to Schiphol airport, and any decent hotel can arrange a taxi for the nearby cruise terminal.
Apart from the Marriott, mentioned above, there is the Crowne Plaza, the Victoria (across the station), the Krasnapolsky and a range of other hotels, simpler but still giving the standards and reliability of international chains like NH or Ibis. Booking.com will be a useful tool for selecting one.
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 08:52 AM

You cold have a look at the Movenpick City Centre which is really close to the cruise terminal, assuming your river cruise is leaving from there.

http://www.movenpick.com/en/europe/n...rdam/overview/
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 11:11 AM

WE stayed in the Hampshire Inn on Princengracht canal and caught a taxi from the station to the hotel and from the hotel right to the cruise terminal. The taxi fare did not break the bank and we are from South Africa!!
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 12:04 PM

I don't know when you are looking for in September, but that is conference month in Amsterdam, meaning many hotels will be booked, at least at lower rates.
The Biggie is the IBC Conference and Exhibition from 8-12 September, but there are others in that month too.
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 08:07 AM

Or book something north of the IJ and have a taxi deliver you to the cruise terminal in the morning. There are nice B&Bs in Noord. And it's still not as popular as the Canal Ring. Both the Hilton Double Tree and the Mövenpick seem to have rooms. Hotels are filling up already on booking.com