Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much should I expect to pay (taxi) Fiumicino-Piazza Navona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Maira

Traveling with Mom, she will be tired, so I need to get her to the hotel Hotel Genio pronto. What do you suggest? She travels light (smart girl).

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Rex

Previously posted:<BR><BR>If you (or others with airport questions) don't already have this site, let me recommend http://www.airwise.com/airports/index.html - - which in turn will take you to http://www.airwise.com/airports/europe/FCO/index.html<BR>- - and from there to http://www.airwise.com/airports/europe/FCO/FCOtran1.html<BR><BR>Maybe a little out of date, they list 70.000 LIT as the expected fare.<BR><BR>Maybe 40 &euro;<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Walter

Maira: Yes, ~40 euro seems to be what the majority of posters have mentioned recently.<BR> But for a couple of euro more why not just book a limo, www.limoservicerome.com it's gotten great reviews here. The driver will be right outside the entrance into the Arrivals hall meeting your flight with a sign with your name on it.<BR>Rex: I'm curious I've seen this "&euro" in posts and on websites. What's the "&" mean? Regards, Walter

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Rex

To Walter,<BR><BR>Sounds like maybe your pc is not "enabled" to display the &euro; sign.<BR><BR>I cannot show you (or actually, I cannot show others) what I typed to get &euro; without a trick. For everyone else, it's &amp;euro; (I think I have this right).<BR><BR>There has been an extensive thread on this Walter. I'll see if I can locate it for you along with the reference file that got it all started.<BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Nancy

We used a taxi from the train station in Rome to the airport, two people with luggage and it came to 40 euro. Be sure to ask before you get in and be sure to take a legal cab, we were approached by a company that was not legal and they wanted 50 euro, we were informed later that they might have upped the price when we arrived, so be careful which cab you choose.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 04:10 AM
Alice Twain

Recognizing legal taxis is easy. In first place, except some rather old cars that are still yellow, autorized taxis are white, pure white all of them, except a few which bear publicity paintings on white (for instance a full white taxi may have one side painted to promote some computer brand). Also make sure they have a "TAXI" sign on top. All autorized taxis _must_ have a meter and _must_ use it all the times; there is no such thing in italy as a taxi that can work with no meter even on specific routes such as Fiumicino-Rome. In case a taxi driver says his company uses no meter, just refuse him. Tariffs are calculated per second, but at night and on sundays you also pay a suplement. Another suplement is added when the taxi is forced to travel outside the city (for instance, Milano-Malpensa and maybe Rome-Fiumicino). nce you have located your authorized taxi, chech the metal plate with a number that must be in sight inside the car, this is the taxi driver's ID. In case you suspect of having been scammed, denounce the fact to a vigile urbano (a kind of police dealing mainly with traffic) giving him the ID number, thus it will be possible to trace the sammer and punish him: he may risk to lose his authorization to work as a taxi driver.<BR><BR>In any case, you should consider taking the train from Fiumicino to Roma Termini and a taxi from Termini station: I suspect that it would turn out far less costly for two people.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Maira

Thanks evrybody for the great information. Rex, somehow I missed that link when previously posted, so thanks again! Walter, limoservice sounds like the kind of alternative I need to know about! Nancy, thanks for the warning, and Alice, appreciate your detailed info tremendously (I am copying & pasting and taking with me!). Thanks again everybody!!

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Rex

You're very welcome. Have a great trip together!<BR>